Canning Etc. Season 2018

No - just plums. They are my favorite canned fruit - so delicious

1 Like

OK, I’ve been running behind of posting canning pics.

LOTS of various peppers

Some pics before canning

Over 15lb of picked peppers!

Ripe Padron and other red peppers

A bunch of jalapeno slices, I think it took me and hour to cut all these up. Talk about a potent mix of fumes…

Various pepperoncini, which are pretty warm, good to go with a pizza.

Some Serrano slices.

The end product:

Jalapeno rings, Serrano slices, Padron pieces

Jalapeno rings

Some jars of hot pepper jelly. It was the first time making it, and I think we used too much pectin, as it is a bit too thick. It has a nice hot/sweet flavor, but is too thick.

Here’s what is looked like in the dutch oven, talk about some stout fumes!

End product, about 5 pints in total:

I think we canned about 15 pints of those mentioned above, plus yellow pepper rings, and two quarts of pepperoncini. And we still have peppers ripening in the garden. The Ancho Mulato look like they’re starting to darken finally. Plus, we seem to have more Habanero and Bulg Carrot hot peppers about ready.

11 Likes

Some pics of canned Maxine pears, 7qt worth.

Some pints of apple/pear jelly in front

8 Likes

I like that idea of cutting the different varieties in different shapes, lest you bite inadvertently into the wrong thing

1 Like

I canned a few quarts of Kieffers, but the coring is too much trouble

Explain to me siphon please

The juice tends to boil out, particularly when just taken out of the canner

This doesn’t prevent a seal, strangely, but you get a jar of fruit with an empty space the top few inches.

1 Like

I thought that is what you meant, I had some problem with my hot sauce doing that this summer. Should I leave more head space?

I do, when I encounter that problem persistently

Also leave the jars in the canner 5 minutes or so before removing them, that helps

1 Like

Apple Pie filling ands lots of hot pickeled garlic. Also, did pickeled hotdogs!

8 Likes

Yum!!!

Tony

1 Like

Our canning season is officially over. If you remember we successfully grew pie pumpkins this year. I think we ended up with about 8 that were worth using.

Anyways the Missus cut them up, and we ended up canning 5 quarts worth. Looks very nice in the jars.

Overall we had a very good year canning stuff. About 40qt of beans, 15qt of sweet corn, at least 20 pints of various types of pickles, maybe 20 pints of various pickled peppers, 13 pints of salsa, and about 7qt of pears. The old food cellar is really getting filled up!

5 Likes

That’s a lot of beans!

2 Likes

Yeah, like a qt every week night until the next harvest, LOL. May not need to plant beans next year, @subdood_ky_z6b.

1 Like

May not want to!

3 Likes

@ltilton and @JustAnne4, hah, we still have beans left over from 3 years ago! That was our best bean year, I think we canned over 50qt! Most were half runners which I like, but we also canned Blue Lake, which I’m not a fan. I thought we’d try them to see if they were better than the BL that I disliked in my youth, and they just reinforced my opinion of them. My wife can have them I guess.

This year we had so many peppers, I doubt we’ll grow that many next year. Or cukes. We made bread and butter, hot, dill slices, spears, etc. So done with pickles. We may not do any cukes next year, except just a row for fresh eating. We did four 25’ rows (!?!?) this year. Straight eights and SMR 58 were very prolific.

Next year I hope we can get a decent tomato and potato harvest. And we’ll still grow corn, but it’ll be Honey Select only. I highly recommend it.

Four 25’ rows of cukes for two persons! Four or five plants should do for next year if the rabbits don’t get them.

1 Like

Yes, we grow way too many veggies. I think part of it is grow as much as we can, and hopefully after the varmits have their fill, we’ll get some left overs. The deer hit the cukes pretty hard at first, but they recovered nicely, and were never again bothered. They barely missed with the beans and left the corn alone. The tomatoes, oh boy, we had 43 big plants, almost full with fruit, when they were raided by the devil deer. So we had to wait on the second crop, which wasn’t as good. And due to lots of rain and deer, we got no regular or sweet taters.

Next year, I think we’ll try to consolidate our veggies into a couple large plots, not four or five like the last couple years.

OK, this isn’t really a canning post, but it sorta is in a way. We planted a couple types of popcorn this year, Strawberry and Japanese Hulless. They were picked a few weeks ago and today the Doodette decide to hull (or shell?) them. She actually popped some of the SB corn and it wasn’t too bad. Kinda a nice novelty plant to grow, don’t know if we’ll try it again next year, but it is sorta neat.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Before:

After. Strawberry:

JH:

Both, the SB is in a pint jar, JH in a quart jar:

Should we put a dessicant in the jars to keep out moisture?

3 Likes

Not necessarily. popcorn needs some percentage moisture to pop (forget the number). Although you do want to be sure it is dry enough to store without molding. We usually just store in jars as you are doing, however we are starting with commercial popcorn so its been dried enough before hand.

If you’re going to err, I’d do it to the too dry side. It will still store well that way, and you can hydrate it a bit by sprinkling in a few drops of water and letting it sit an hour or so before popping it…

3 Likes