Carmine Jewell Cherry Yields increasing with age

Those look nice Jesse.

Good looking cherries. Sounds like it was probably a wise call to harvest 'em now.

Cherry Crisp is pretty simple and seems to disappear fairly quickly!

1 Like

Hi Brady.
This is very interesting cherry, How is it doing for you, where you buy it and did you taste it yet?
and why your tree does not have much fruit yet? Vincent.

Vincent,
The bush is growing very well.The one that I have now,probably came from Sky Nursery,a couple years ago.I was there,looking for other things and saw that they had one left.One of the workers told me that a few of the plants had come in with a shipment and they had no information about them.I did know a little at that time,from reading and they were starting to get popular in the U.S.
I had ordered one from Machias Nursery in Snohomish a little earlier,but when I picked the tree up,I saw they had grafted onto a Cherry root stock.I wanted one with own roots and so I gave the tree to a friend,which we planted in his yard.
The few fruit this year,were picked off by birds or people before they fully ripened,so I’ve never had a taste.
Clark wrote that it takes awhile for the plant produce a decent crop.Hence the title of this thread. Brady

PS. Vincent,I bought some Nadia fruit at the Redmond farmers market today.

3 Likes

I really like Carmine Jewell, just find out today, but look like it take a lot of space in the garden.
How the Nadia from market taste, They still have some there, i might go there tomorrow to get some.
Thank you Brady.

I liked the Nadia.The Redmond market is only open on Saturdays til 3pm.Some other markets in the area are happening on Sunday.I think Lake Forest Park has one.But only one vendor had the fruit at Redmond,so some searching may need to be done. Brady

2 Likes

Thank you Brad, I will look for in a different farmer market.

I just bought a little Romeo cherry in Flower world nursery today Brady. The only one.

3 Likes

1 Like

Too bad, 1 of big branch broken because of transfering it to bigger container.

I went to Lake Forest Park, Lynnwood, and Bothell,farmer market today. They have a lot of fresh fruits but not Nadia at all.

1 Like

How old is your Cherry Tony?

That one stand in Redmond should have more on Saturday.They are along the back South row.I don’t know their name.
Your new Cherry should branch out quite a bit when growing.That’s about the size of the Carmine Jewel,that I planted a couple years ago and now the thing is five feet tall and almost as wide. Brady

1 Like

Vincent,

The CJ and CP are 5 years old.

Tony

1 Like

Thank you Tony. I just started Plant mine Romeo cherry 11/2 ft tall.

Hi BradyB and Vincent,
I will be very interested to hear how your bush cherries produce in a wet spring climate like PNW west side. Mine haven’t produced. Danube, Jubileum, neither, and Northstar gets all kinds of diseases.
Thanks,
John S
PDX OR

Sure John,will do. Brady

It will take long time for my tree to have fruit, maybe 4-5 more years. How old are all your tree John?

Carmine Jewel now mostly ripened here, zone 3. Planted in 2011, this is the first year I’ve got a big harvest. Today I picked 11 pounds of cherries from my only CJ, and that was only from 1/2 to 2/3 of the bush. So this year’s harvest from this CJ bush will be about 20 lbs. I processed today’s cherries into somewhat more than 4 quarts (4 liters) of concentrated cherry juice, and canned the juice concentrate in a hot water canner, to preserve it as a winter-time treat! (NOTE: I also have one each of Cupid, Juliet and Romeo bushes, but this post is only about my Carmine Jewel bush).

Definitely needed to add some white sugar to the raw cherry juice to counter the inherent acidity, but if adding sugar keep watch of the amounts, as it is better to under-sweeten as you can’t remove sugar once it’s been added.

Note about photos:, cherries in the sunshine appear bright red, whereas in reality they are quite dark, like the cherries in the shaded areas of the photos.

15 Likes

Congrats on the nice haul Don!! Isn’t it a treat to be able to harvest that amount of cherries with your feet planted firmly on the ground though? I too have had camera color issues when taking pictures of them in the bright sun. They’ll look much darker in real life than in the pictures. In fact a lot of the time pictures in artificial light look much closer to how they appear on the bush. Always stunning to see the amount of cherries per square inch on these things. Seems like one constant is that at around year 6 they really come out of there shell and begin to produce boatloads!

2 Likes