Chaen Double take-Scarlet Storm flowers

Tom, did you had the chance to pick up some of these red flowering quince at Lowes. Here are a few more photos of them flowering.

Tony

4 Likes

They look like a beautiful painting!

1 Like

I normally see flowering quince and just think they are kinda ho hum. I saw your picture and can’t believe how awesome that plant looks.

Tony,

I have not yet having a chance to Lowes but definitely keep this in mind! Did you take note of how many days/weeks for it to bloom (after in-door), 1st bloom and full blooms?

Tom

Tom,

From my memory it was roughly 3 weeks, but next year I want to bring it the house a month before the Chinese New Year so I can enjoy it one extra week. The blooms lasted for about 3-4 weeks period.

Tony

Tom, here is the update photos of them this morning. They will be Blooming for a few more weeks.

Tony

7 Likes

Tony,

I went to my local Lowe’s, I don’t see any. Also, what’s it like the rest of the year? Just foliage?

Tony,

Looking at these is like looking at the Asian painting/arts with bold colors and angles. So BREATH-TAKEN BEAUTIFUL…! I think my mind is poisoned with these images!

This “Scarlet Storm” is another must have.:anguished:

Tom

Tom,
You and I both. However, I don’t think I am no where near green thumb as Tony is.

Mamuang,

I’ll probably stop by a Lowe’s tomorrow to check up on it. About the green thumb thing, I admit that I’ve killed plenty of “innocent” plants in this obsessed gardening hobby! :grin:

Tom

Tom they are magnificent.

Mamuang,

Just small green leaves in form of Bonsai. I pruned them that way. Our Lowes carried them.

Tony

If you all like flowering quince, Toyo Nishiki is another neat one. Flower color varies (I think with temperature) from white to different shades of pink.

Toyo nishiki

Pink Storm

Orange Storm

4 Likes

Lovely.
I’ve planted Toyo Nishiki and a typical orange species-type Chaenomeles in the past couple of years.

Ampersand… my grandmother had an exceptionally heavy-fruiting strain… as a kid, I ate them out-of-hand, sprinkled with liberal amounts of salt. Yes, they were hard…sour… and really ‘set your teeth on edge’… but I liked them.

Don’t you also like the rock hard Kieffer pears? What do you have against soft fruit :smile:

Just brought these two Scarlett Storm pots indoor and let them bloom for the Vietnamese / Chinese New Year on 1-28-17.

Tony

1 Like

Kelby,

Have you try to propagate these guy with soft wood cutting. I tried some in a Starbucks cups 3 weeks ago and looks like they are surviving.

Tony

I also air layered one branch last year and it is blooming this Spring.

2 Likes

Never tried, but given their habit of suckering I’m not surprised

1 Like

Gorgeous as an ornamental, but I’ve read that the Storm series of flowering quince doesn’t produce any fruit.

Even the ordinary kinds of flowering quince have flowers that are quite beautiful enough for me.

1 Like