Che fruit

That’s a nice looking Pawpaw.
Are those Fig trees in the background and in the greenhouse? Brady

sweet brown tamarind is pretty consistent, and tastes exactly like how they taste straight from the tree.
jackfruit is delicious, but there are several varieties, so hopefully you got to taste the better ones.
snakefruit is generally too sour or outright unpalatable, but there are at least two varieties that are superb, so hopefully that’s what they ship from asia
btw, snake fruit is another ultra-tropical never would have thought would be imported into austria. I have visited many asian grocery stores in southwest usa, illinois, and new york, but have yet to see it anywhere(in continental america), so you got us beat!

The one behind the PawPaw tree is a Fig, correct.

Inside the Greenhouse are like 6 or more PawPaws.

I dont know why they have them planted inside (Maybe they first thought it cant survive our winter, like the cherimoya?)

They PawPaws inside have a more open limb structure, somehow hollow … not as dense as the outdoor one!

And they have a massive fruit drop … i didnt make pictures of these, but i will do it next year!

BTW: Here is the Fig from our Neighbour.

It always has a huge crop of figs during the season, our neighbour said i can eat and pick how many i want cause they are too lazy to pick them :yum:

We also have got a cutting from this tree many years ago, but it was planted at a bad loaction (Too close to a Hazelnut Bush and an old pear tree … and it only gets a few hours sun)

It has only few but good fruits.

2 Likes

You can find salak snake fruit here in California occasionally. I was growing some from seed for awhile. On our last trip outside the US we found salak in Singapore and Dubai. Unfortunately they were dried out and old in both places. I had the best pommelo I had ever tasted in Dubai though,as well as the best mango.

glad to hear it is being imported to mainland. That’s how novelties go from novelties to, well-- mainstream.
In my 13 years in vegas, jackfruit and rambutan were never sold at hispanic grocery stores for more about a decade(only in asian stores), and then bam! pretty much a yearly staple in la bonita and marketon!
as for pomelo’s, i find it strange that those quality pomelos have yet to be imported into the america’s–considering that they are importing snake fruit already, as have bought some occasional odd pomelos in asian stores here but is just nothing like what they sell in asia.

ok, am digressing from the main topic again, i apologize.

back to che guevara. Would love to see more pics and feedback, including negative feedback

I am aware che has been sold in two farmers markets in the US, one in NC and one in southern California. I doubt they get much repeat business…

@castanea when does your che fruit ripen?

The bulk in September. But some in August and some in October and even a few in November.

Mine fruited for the first time this year but they ripened mid July. I don’t know why so early, hopefully they ripen later in the year from now on and maybe taste better. I think the bad aftertaste is amplified when the fruit is 100 degees.

Regarding what eats Osage Orange, there’s a large exhibit at the San Diego Zoo based on ‘what used to live’ in Southern California: mastodons, saber toothed cats, camels, grizzly bears, etc, and apparently Osage Orange. There’s a specimen plant of Osage Orange there with a display placard which hypothesizes that North American megafauna around-about the last ice age ate the fruits — i.e. Mastodons (Wooly Mammoth) — and were responsible for widespread distribution of the seeds. Apparently not much eats them now, because only the megafauna could grab, digest and tolerate the fairly large fruits.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what did it, but something (animal) cleaned my Che tree this past autumn.

I lost at least 75 fruit over the span of 2 days (and they were not on the ground)

The couple I tried were ok, but not yet ripe as they still had the taste of latex and were not softened.

I’d rate it slightly better than cornus kousa, even at that stage of ripeness.

My latest kick here is fruits in the myrtle family.

Scott

Weird that in a discussion involving Che and frickin’ Durian, it’s Che that’s getting all the hate.

3 Likes

There are lots of people who love durian. There are people who will eat pounds of durian until they can’t eat any more. Finding anyone who will eat more than 2 or 3 che fruit at a time is very hard to do. Even the woman interviewer in the video above who claimed to love che, ate only 1/2 of a fruit.

The only animal I know who would clean a tree like that has two legs and walks upright. Someone probably thought they could sell the fruit.

Interesting.

I tried Cornus Kousa fruits from 2 different varieties and they are very unpredictable from tree to tree.

“Gold Star” had fruits that tasted very good, like a sweet custard biscuit!

“China Girl” had fruits that where just bitter and had no taste … not edible imo.

Good to know that you rate them higher as the Cornus Kousa

Iam really curious about the Che, but that will take atleast 3-4 years until i know!

2 Likes

China Girl is bitter until about 5 minutes before it is perfectly ripe. It’s OK once it’s perfectly ripe. It’s not very common in the US though. I’ve never tasted Gold Star so that’s good to know. Most people I know don’t like cornus kousa but those who have tried both still like it better than che. One of the oddities of these two fruits is that the seeds of che are supposed to b edible while the seeds of cornus kousa are not.

I dont know if there is even a selected variety for the fruits.

They are mostly selected for different colored and sized bracts.

I heard of one very interesting one called “Teutonia” which has big fruits that taste good.

Never tried it though.

3 Likes

looks like those germans selectively chose/bred them to develop into soccerballs :smile:

3 Likes

There is one in America called big apple, selected for the bigger fruit.
I tried kousa fruit for the first time this fall. On 9-5, I tried it because I noticed animals eating the crop. Wasn’t as good as I hoped. A couple weeks later there were still a couple left on the tree, and had grown larger and were tasty enough to want more.

1 Like

I wish I could find that variety (Teutonia) in the US.