Che fruit

Well Maybe I got lucky my Che is loaded seedless and seems to have lost it’s thorns as it has matured.

ems to have lost it’s thorns as matured.

7 Likes

Those look amazing, congrats.

1 Like

looks great, how many years in the ground?

I’m on my 4th female, 3 so far have died because of winters and turned into osage orange, the male keeps on chugging along unfazed.

Thanks Guys, It will be 3 years inground this coming winter and in pot couple years prior. I grafted to Osage Orange. It only had significant drop 1 year last year not many fruit but most held, This year lots of fruit ripe presently.

1 Like

Strudeldog,

So what do you think of the Che taste? Others keeping telling me it tastes like watermelon. Btw, How is the persimmon orchard doing this year?

Tony

I am not very good at taste profiling but I find them very
pleasant if allowed to ripen fully. Prior to starting to soften they are very
bland. They color up well before being ripe. The predominant flavor to me is a watermelon,
but there is some floral tone I pick up, maybe a little raspberry but that may
be a visual thing. Some folks mention Mulberry but not to me as the there is no
acidity and not the sweet/tart Mulberry I love.

The Persimmon have actually done better the last couple
colder winters with lows around 0F than the preceding milder winters where they got hit with 20s F in
spring after leaf. I have lost some trees to cold and even my Izu just a few
weeks ago died but from what I don’t know. I just picked up 7 new trees this
weekend some duplicates and a few to replacements for tree I have lost and a
couple new to me. My older trees at my
plantings at my cabin had very little set this year, but I did get a nice crop
of Matsumoto Wase Fuyu. I think I had a frost there as I had little fruit on
any type tree except pears. I picked some thing early as bears were destroying
my trees.

I have been at my residence almost 3 years and I am getting to try several trees here for the
1st time. Couple pics attached. The one tree and fruit I am showing
was supposed to be Giombo, but I think a Jiro or one of it’s sport. What do you
folks think?

Giombo-NOT

Couple others

2 Likes

Strudeldog,

I am still waiting to taste the Che fruit. My Che from EL is still small in a pot. Where did you got your from?
I think you were right about the mislabelled Giombo tree.

It could be Jiro Fuyu.

Tam Kam is pretty large too.

Tony

2 Likes

I got one stick of scion for the Che from UC Davis USDA Germplasm Repository a few years ago made 3 grafts to Osage Orange. The one at my cabin trying to recover the 2nd time from being a buck rub last season they destroyed it. The 3rd I have planted in a bad shady location overgrown at a pasture edge and it has not taken off. I believe they list Micheal McConkey as the donor so it should be the same as Edible Landscaping.

I am pretty sure the persimmon is a Jiro type, but it came from JF&E and they carry 2 of it’s sports, Ichikikeijiro which one of my tree has some fruit this year and Maekawa Jiro which I have not fruited here yet. I have a Tam Kam I grafted myself that has not fruited and it was one I picked up last weekend as well. Maybe in a couple years I can compare better.

Strudeldog

Very good. I got some seedlings of Osage Orange going. Maybe in a year or so I may ask for your Che pencil size scion to see if they will grow faster from my own grafts.

Tony

sure I will have some this year, or pretty much any year. I have tried rooting about 3 times I can prep them and they develop callus but I never get them to root. From what I have heard It’s a better plant on O.O. but i have never had one on own roots, just hear they sucker. The nasty thorns this tree had it lost as it matured. I will state all the writing about completely pest free must have been written Pre - SWD (spotted wing drosophila ) as they are on the fruit. They have not seemed to sour them and I have not found maggots like I do in my figs, but unfortunately this pest is something I am dealing with.

If someone wants to PM me I will try the che experiment on mulberry and osage orange and will just need a few scions. I have a small osage orange under 5 feet below my pond and several mulberry in good ground to try it on. I have adult osage orange as well. Do you guys want me to try clefts or another form of grafting? I will pay for the scions and shipping. I will try mulberry on the osage orange as well. Che wood is pretty hard stuff so small scion wood is typically better. Let me know if you want me to try an interstem graft of osage orange >che>mulberry or some variation. Osage orange>mulberry / Mulberry >osage orange. If anyone else wants to try it PM me and I will send you interstem wood if needed for the trial. Someone who has a che could try the other direction with osage orange as an interstem.

I plan on trying a Osage orange on mulberry this year , if it takes it should make an interstem for a che

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5 would be interested in the results of what you find. England’s offering che scions this year?

I believe what I will do is put some Osage orange on a mulberry this year and see if the graft takes. If it does I will see about putting some Che on top of that next year. I have been cleaning up some brush and have located some promising mulberry candidates.

1 Like

Sounds great Tony is duplicating the experiment and we will know for sure.

1 Like

Yes it will be interesting to see if the mulberry will accept the Osage orange. If it does then it will be interesting to see what effect the interstem has on the Che. As you touched on in another thread, it seems the interstem may cause some differences in the fruit.

1 Like

Jason,
I will try to do my part and do some good tests this year. I have some che wood on the way. Maybe with a little luck and Tony’s help we can put the che / mulberry /fig / osage orange mystery to bed for good. I’ve heard about it for a long time but a limited number of tests have been done. @SMC_zone6 offered to help out and it sounds like we will be able to run a pretty good test this time.

2 Likes

Jason, Clark, SMC,

Hopefully, We get some good takes.

Tony

3 Likes

I transplanted a small Osage orange to the back yard today. I was not able to get a lot of roots so I cut the top way back. I will find out how tough they are I guess. If it takes maybe it will be a Che some day.

2 Likes