Che fruit

Hello,

This is my first year that I have Che fruits on the tree this long and some of them even begin to change color. How much longer will it take for them to become ripe?

Also, does anyone have experience with a variety called Darrow or Noris? Either one of them is supposed to ripe in August.

Thanks.

4 Likes

So should I go with Darrow or norris? I already have a male and female from Hidden Springs but I want to grab another variety. Anyone taste both?

When ripe are Che chewy or hard? I’ve been losing fruit pretty steadily for the past week+ but the fruit are hard and there is a definite lack of sweetness and a latex kind of feeling on my lips.

If I had to guess I would say that about 2/3rds of the fruit has dropped and I’ve yet to sample anything that shows the promise of what I’ve read these are supposed to taste like.

I’m still optimistic that I may taste something worthwhile after all these years…

Scott

My tree has put out almost 0 growth this year… I cut off the tip and it’s actually putting out some new growth… Here’s to hoping that continues…

1 Like

I’ve only tried them once from a tree at Emma Prusch Farm Park in San Jose,CA.They were the seedy kind and the texture was soft,chewy,pulpy and somewhat juicy. Brady

After a few years of good growth, my Che didn’t grow at all this year either. I’m attributing it to the strange winter. …as I am with all of this year’s orcharding failures.

1 Like

It has been a strange year! We had our first earthquake in my lifetime, warmest winter last time we have ever had, snowed when the fruit trees were blooming etc. very, very strange!

1 Like

@clarkinks the earthquake was most likely caused by fracking in your area. Kansas is a hot spot for fracking especially southern Kansas. http://www.drillingmaps.com/Kansas.html#.V9qm6pgrLcd

Not.
There’s no scientific evidence that fracking has been associated with ‘induced’ tremor activity… but wastewater injection - which may follow oil/gas extraction from drilling and/or fracking for years - may play a role in some seismic activity.
All ‘drilling’ is not ‘fracking’. Map linked above does not differentiate between conventional oil/gas drilling sites and fracking sites.

Do you work for the gas company?

1 Like

. Wastewater injection is done by the companies doing the fracking because the wastewater is a byproduct of fracking. They drill holes and fill them with the waste water. Oklahoma says the wastewater injections does cause earthquakes but TX says it don’t. Also fracking itself has been proven to cause earthquakes, just none large enough for people to feel. Earthquakes are up 1000% in places like TX and OK compared to seismic activity prior to fracking. I encourage everyone to do their own investigation and draw their own conclusions because like they say on Reading Rainbow “You don’t have to take my word for it.”

1 Like

EL,
Thanks for the information provided . Usually we avoid topics like fracking because they end in heated debate. We all just like to get together and talk fruit and vegetables while avoiding all the controversial topics like global warming , politics, gmo’s, and fracking etc. . Not that those things are not important to all of us just because the topics never end well on this forum.

4 Likes

So my educational background in the sciences preclude me from being able to comment? I usually stay away from the AGW discussions, because I’m aware of the religious fervor many have on both sides. But, I don’t necessarily have to ‘take a knee’ just because we may not agree on all topics.

I merely pointed out that 1) USGS says that despite claims to the contrary, there’s no scientific evidence that fracking causes induced tremors, but that wastewater injection, which is practiced for weeks/months/years from conventional drilling and fracking sites, does - and that 2) the map you linked does not discriminate between conventional drilling and fracking sites… though the heading is misleading.
USGS induced tremors myths

@Lucky_P I didn’t mean it the way it came across. I apologize but nothing was meant by it.

2 Likes

OK.
I’ll admit, it’s always difficult to ascertain tone and intent from typed word format.
This is a great forum with sound contributors. I understand why we usually stay away from ‘controversial’ subjects.

3 Likes

Speaking in my mod voice here.

The topic here is Che Fruit. Let’s get back to that, and remember to keep posts both civil and respectful of other members.

Those of you who realize that your recent comments do not reflect a respectful spirit to others are encouraged to edit your words.

2 Likes

10-4, pard. Over and out. lol

Oh, by the way, I stopped by my Che on the way out from checking cows yesterday afternoon. Found a few ripe fruit. Chewy and sweet.
But… I need to get into that up and coming forest and cut out all the Japanese honeysuckle and seedling callery pears and black cherries before they take over!

1 Like

i asked here before but at the time it looked like noone knew about it,so i am asking again now…
thoes someone uses other parts o the che/cudrania tree for something?
like leafs for infusions,wood and roots for kooking,etc?
because i found in some places that this parts of the tree could have something thatcould help someone woh as cancer.
i am trying to find out becase i have someone in the family that has it,and it looks that tere is no solution anymore.
so i have the tree and i realy want to help but i dont want to do worst by using this parts of the tree if i dont know if it helps.
can someone hekp me in this?
or at least does some one knows if any part of the tree is poisenous?
thanks

So I just came across this tree that’s entirely new to me. I read 95% of the comments I would say. Just one question and I know it was answered at least once above but would like to be sure . . .

Would this female from Hidden Springs Nursery fruit w/o a male?

Or would I be better off buying from Edible Landscaping:
http://ediblelandscaping.com/products/trees/CheSeedless/SeedlessChe.php

Appreciate it!

Dax

I’ve been growing che for about 24 years. The che germplasm in the US is very limited and there is very little difference between different che plants. As far as I can tell, every female che is self fruitful and produces fruit with no seeds when no male is present. And they do sucker badly if grown on their own roots.

1 Like