Chinese Quince

I bought some Chinese quince http://www.louistheplantgeek.com/a-gardening-journal/1053-pseudocydonia-sinensis scion off eBay thinking I would be able graft it to OHxF. I am now starting to doubt it would be compatible with OHXF. Can anyone offer advice on how to root the cuttings?

I asked the seller and he thought it should be compatible with any pear rootstock including Callery. I was confused by the taxonomy and the strange appearance of Chinese Quince bark. I might still try try rooting a couple of them.

I’ve grown seedlings of P.sinensis, but never tried rooting cuttings or grafting it to anything.
It might graft onto callery or any other pear… I dunno.
Probably would graft onto Chaenomeles, but I’d want to plant with the graft union below ground.
Polar vortex of 2014(or whenever that was) killed my two P.sinensis, just after they got old enough to start to produce blooms. Dax sent me a couple of replacments this spring.

Sorry to hear you lost your trees. How cold were the temperatures that killed them?

I don’t recall the temps… but it was bad enough to kill all blueberry blossoms, and killed my Kiowa blackberries back to the snowline(~6" above the soil surface). Only a handful of apples, and no pears at all the next season.

1 Like

How is the fruit of Chinese quince? Anyone have much experience with it?

1 Like

I have never tasted any type of Quince and would not know where to get one without growing them. I have a Orange and Pineapple Cydonia Quince that should produce fruit this year or next. I’m not to excited to taste the fruit based on the accounts of others. They do have impressive blossoms in the spring and the prospect of producing fruit most people will never see makes them worth growing.

1 Like

I was at the florist today and noticed they had Quince branches in water that were blossoming out. They said the branches come in dormant. They were probably a different type of quince but I might stick a few cuttings i a vase of water and see what happens.

1 Like