Clark's Small Yellow Pear

I have a lot to learn: canning, drying (that was easy) but long term uses and storage. leather to eat. I don’t know about any of it. My Harrow Delight is doing good too. In fact every pear is. You’re right about hardiness. Mine were planted last July, mid, and 95’s and 100 temps and supplemental water and this summer I’m in a severe drought. I’ve dragged the hose around twice only. No water but those two times and a few rains for like 60-days or something. I can’t get my new shovel to go into the ground. It’s like hitting rock. That’s pretty hardy and they’re growing like crazy, too.

Appreciate what I learned about pears from you, Clark. I’m a pear, persimmon, nut-trees, and pawpaw grower. There’s no need to spray nut trees up here for anything disease related and pecans are completely no spray. It’s weevils that do damage to grafted hickories and hicans. A good hickory or hican is so much better though than a pecan. You gotta live it to believe so.

Take care,

Dax

5 Likes

Dax I live near you. I doubt that it is phosphorus.It could more probably be that you are short on potassium. I apply 2 lbs of Sulphate of Potash per thousand square feet each month April-September. It really makes a difference on fruit set and foliage color.

4 Likes

Thank you.

Dax

1 Like

@barkslip

We all admire your skills with a grafting knife and growing fruit. As a community we should all learn from each other , build each other up, take things to the next level! Thank you and everyone for all your wonderful posts. When i describe growing pears its just like everything we do on this site we are all trying to improve things for everyone.

8 Likes

How old is that? That’s Pai Li right? Mine is still trying to get some roots set in and only grew about a foot.
Love your green giant fence. I have one of my own. My favorite evergreen.

1 Like

Hey Bob, it’s “Small Yellow Pear”.

1 Like

I added three grafts of the Small Yellow Pear to side limbs. All three have grown well. I was looking them over yesterday hoping to see something resembling a flower bud for next year. The two on dwarf interstems look more like they will settle down first. The one attached to my standard tree has been an aggressive grower with pointed thorn like spurs. They look similar to some kieffer seedlings I planted about two years ago.

5 Likes

Hardly a thorn on my Small Yellow Pear. I have that big one and another 5-footer. Even the 5-footer is losing/has lost most of its thorns if I recall correctly.

4 Likes

The thorns are temporary when they are young trees. When they get to production stage they become thorn free

3 Likes

My tree is covered in flower-buds. @clarkinks That’s that one that shot up to 20’ tall in a couple seasons. Lots of flowers from 4’ off the ground to 9’ I reckon. 6’ wide swath for them. All flower buds.

This will be its first flowering.

Dax

8 Likes

It should produce Dax im glad to hear this

1 Like

no flowers, totally-strange to me. I’m no novice at what I read and ‘How to Prune Fruit Trees’ was over-simplified to my basic understanding. I guess I should go stand at the flowers of a Callery pear sometime, Clark.

hey, best regards!

Dax

1 Like

Are the thorns beginning to dissapear? The small yellow pear like all pears has a tendency to produce it’s flowers at the tips of the branches the first few years. Many people who grow apples tip the branches of pears and this tipping nips their flower buds. A few apples are tip bearers so literally year after year I have seen people locked in war with a tree to get it to produce but the very efforts they make are the thing that keeps it from producing.

1 Like

Okay. I hear ya. Let me continue my thought processes, because I know what I’m doing, Clark. I really-really do appreciate you.

1 Like

You definately know what your doing @Barkslip. This yellow pear is not a run of the mill pear and there are a few extra tips I’m mentioning for everyone more so than for you Dax.

Dax,
How old is yours? Mine is 4th leaf this year. No sign of flowers. It is on OHxF 87.

2 Likes

about third

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

How old was yours when it produced its first fruits? You and i live just hours apart and have a favorable location with plenty of everything pears love. I think the location has something to do with the fact we typically get fruit quickly. We are very fortunate to have such an abundance of fruits. Quality will improve drastically the first 2 - 3 years. Once you get an exceptional tasting crop let me know Tony it will wow you and i know your a true connoisseur. The first year i ate this pear i nearly grafted the tree over to something else. I’m very glad i was busy and didn’t.

3 Likes

Not only was my small yellow pear hundreds of times more resistant to the late freezes, rust, scab, fireblight and weather conditions it also tastes the best and is the easiest to graft. I must admit i consider the frost rings victory scars. @tonyOmahaz5 @Barkslip i’m curious has yours had any disease issues spray free? Did you experience late freezes this year?

14 Likes

I took a large scionwood of your little yellow pear :pear: grafted branch last year and bark grafted to a large callery understock. It grew maybe 5 feet last year and no flower yet. It is taking off now so in the near future it will be loaded. @clarkinks

5 Likes