Codling Moth

This post has been deemed private by the creator.

5 Likes

In the quest to find the apples that are user friendly and can handle near-desert conditions (Spokane, WA, north side of town with deep sand), I have stumbled upon four that are ignored by codling moths: Redfield & Winekist (both red-fleshed), Hunt Russet and what I believe is Twenty Ounce.

Pleasant surprise.

On the other hand, two have been codling moth magnets: Liberty and Rambour Franc/Summer Rambo.

I am keeping Rambour Franc (ripe in August; first noted 1535 Picardy, France) and sold Liberty to make room for Hunt Russet (what an apple!)

4 Likes

I have both Liberty and Red Summer Rambo planted, hopeful to get fruit next year.
This is disappointing news to hear of their attractiveness to the codling moth.
I chose Liberty for it’s disease resistance, and it wasn’t until after I had planted it I learned how much the insects like it.

Well, conditions vary & your experience may not mirror mine. Codling moth may find others more to their liking in your situation. I also find CM loves Bardsey & I have a terrible time covering them individually early enough each year. I may have to approach it differently.
I haven’t heard from many other growers that Liberty is a CM magnet. That was one among several concerns when I began - & have learned so much since writing that post.

Don’t despair. You may find CM a minor problem for your trees.

1 Like

I should add that codling moths weren’t keen on what I hoped would be Twenty Ounce - only to learn it was actually Honeycrisp! Earwigs loved it: they made open pit mines. I found Honeycrisp to be a junk tree & half the fruit got severe bitter pit.
Since then I dug out the root (G16), made a graft of Twenty Ounce onto Geneva 30, planted it in the same spot & await results.