Cold hardy figs

Those look good, good job!

Thanks Drew! I picked a bunch more tonight.

1 Like

Hard at work today! I know it’s just a hot house but they take a little time. It was time I started on the project! Pictures say a thousand words. I know it’s not practical to grow figs in Kansas but the rewards were sweet this year!

7 Likes

Wow! This looks awesome!

1 Like

Clark,

Good job on the green house. Hopefully you can extend the season and harvest all the green figs. In addition, it may protect it from the cold with less die back with some straw or dried leaves cover it.

Tony

2 Likes

NIce Clark,
Your structure might benefit from diagonals (connect opposite corners in the same plane) for better stability against collapsing sideways.
It is hard to see if you have the whole thing enclosed, but if so, consider a vent flap or two or you may have baked figs. :blush:

1 Like

Yes that is what those wood chips are for Tony. Your reading my mind!

1 Like

JustAnne4,
I’m going to do some more work tomorrow to get vents, doors etc. installed. Great advice!
Courtney,
Thank you!

2 Likes

I would take a blower and get all the leaves away from your cherry trees. Preventive maintenance goes a long way for disease.

1 Like

Open the top on warm sunny days or you’ll have cooked figs and leaves. I’m getting very good figs from my greenhouse right now. Hope you can do the same. Great looking tree…!!

9 Likes

Fruitnut,
Thanks I will let you know how it turns out. It may take some practice for awhile. Those figs are gorgeous! It’s going to take some time before I know how to ventilate the fig correctly.

I agree those leaves are on my list. Tonight it’s dropping below 30 so this was first. Soon I have 100 blackberries arriving to plant so I need to make time for all of it.

1 Like

Whewwww! One dedicated grower, with boundless energy.

4 Likes

Mrsg47,
I’m very determined which looks like unlimited energy. Was not as clever as I thought. Somehow it hard frosted on the inside of my hothouse. Apparently I have a great deal to learn. I’m not giving up yet but I realize I should have ran a heater now so I live and learn. Heard boards on the back side of the greenhouse so an animal could have slipped through the flap I left for me and left it open. The figs are still firm so I’m not sure if I will meet my goals of getting my figs and preserving my wood. Those goals may still be in site. I’ve seen similar things happen outside a greenhouse in early spring and not impact the fruit. Maybe some of the greenhouse experts will tell me what went wrong.

I don‘t think it looks so bad .

1 Like

Hi all,

Just move some figs into the sunroom to extend the harvest season.

Tony

Black Jack and others.

6 Likes

Those look great Tony. You will be eating figs on Christmas!

1 Like

Thanks Clark. My youngest daughter ready like them. I brought in the sunroom 10 pots with various stages of figlets. The other 40 pots are defoliated and stored in an unheated tornado shelter.

Tony

1 Like

Clark,. Sorry to see the hard frost damage on your figs. Fig leaves are very sensitive to frost. Probably a heat source in that green house would help.

Tony

2 Likes

The first sign of damage to the wood will probably be brown spots around the lenticels. They can recover from this but it makes them extra vulnerable to wind damage.

5 Likes