Cold hardy figs

Figs are easy to root graft, the most difficult part is working below ground level.

I thought he was going to prune his finger off when he was cutting the roots on that container tree! I use a rusty old Japanese back cut saw.

3 Likes

Hello guys,
I’ve been reading this topic ,and few more, for a long time but I did not answer so far.I am particularly interested in plants that cannot easily grow here,but only for the hobby. The most for pecan, jujube, paw paw and cold hardy figs. I got everything except pecan, that’s my unfulfilled wish :slight_smile: . Tonny was perhaps the most informative for me, share the same interests.
Have you tried to grow anjeer Kohi Mountain Fig? It should be able to tolerate big minuses. I have small figs from the seed, a man from Netherlands sent me the seeds.They were quite small figs, but sweet. I’ll see how it will handle this winter. Before that, I tried with various varieties, but they were all froze to the ground every single year.

1 Like

Already have some tip dieback on some figs so I’m giving them more wood chips. A trick when loading wood chips is take a rake and back right up to the pile and build a ramp into the back of the truck. This allows you to rake them into the truck instead of shovel them. It only works on tall piles of wood chips. I have a couple of pickups and in this picture I’m using my older truck to load some wood chips. When you unload them rake them out. The smaller the head of the rake the faster you can load them.

4 Likes

Hi Lilke,

I don’t have that cold hardy mountain fig but have about 40 plus different varieties by next summer. I do have some in-ground figs that I Winter protected them by cutting the branches down to about 3 feet tall and buried the tree with wood chips and placed an upside down trash can over it. This method will prevent die back to ground level.

Tony

2 Likes

Tony- Is the trash can to keep rain/snow off the fig or for thermal properties?

My fig from the above post under wood chips. This it’s new hiding place for the winter! I removed the green house from the fig and am using wood chips only! It’s been down in the teens here already this year so what was above the wood chips is already dead and what’s below is doing great!

6 Likes

The trash can is to block out the north winds and to prevent some desiccation of some of the small branches.

Tony

4 Likes

Does trash can need to be a light color so it doesn’t heat up on a sunny winter day?

I used the light blue trash cans.

Tony

1 Like

I skimmed through this thread some, you already used manure, freshly made manure and compost releases a lot of heat, it it vents enough then steam could be used when it’s cold enough, yet I have not tried it myself so I have no idea how much steam.

2 Likes

About 100 years ago compost heat was used to zone push, and often it was put under cold frames in Zone 3 and 4 to get a head start on veggies.

2 Likes

One year when I was a kid I put a couple of pickup loads of corn silage on my garden , it steamed for quite a while. We had a Great Pyrenees dog and she would dig into it and find a warm spot to lay in.

2 Likes

I pinned mine down to the ground today. It was dry and sunny. I ran my tractor with the leaf vacuum and mulched up two loads of mostly oak leaves for each spot. I buried them with two foot of dense leaves then covered with a tarp that lumber companies use on the bunks of studs. It’s my first year with them in the ground. I guess I’ll see how that works. Now if I can keep from opening them up too early.

3 Likes

My husband wanted to see if we could cover our 5 ft tall fig tree. He helped me wrapped it up.

Yes, our neighbors think we are nuts.

12 Likes

You just have to put on some Christmas lights and people won’t think you are a nut!!!

Tony

4 Likes

Tony,
Great minds think alike. I was thinking about that when we got it done. We can’t find our Xmas lights and I am too cheap to buy new ones.

2 Likes

My in ground fig plants are pruned, layed down and covered with bags of mulch and loose woodchips. Some potted plants are snug in the cellar. And the cycle begins again with packages of cuttings coming and doing by post!

4 Likes

Their is no hope here, I dug my in ground figs up and disposed of them. I have examples of them in containers, I may try again next year, but I don’t want to be wrapping trees every year, I’m too old for that.

2 Likes

I know they are a lot of work. I let some of my pots go. They froze pretty good and I already have about thirty in the garage. That’s about ten more than last year and last year I was thinking I didn’t want to go through this again. That’s why I planted some in the ground. You can see a frozen one as a tarp weight in my picture above.

1 Like

I would like to propagate some fig cuttings next year with this stuff:

1x Really Useful Box 84C (710x440x380mm)
4x Superoot Airpots (2 for mulberries)
Cutting Soil and Perlite
TNC MycorrMax
Clonex Gel and Mist

My room temperature is around 72 °F.

Is it a good idea to use a heating mat for this process?