Cold hardy figs

They are pretty much the same, Verte types. The only commercial fig orchard in the mid-Atlantic was Verte, planted by Stoughton Sterling in Crisfield Maryland. No idea on what became of the trees, but it did operate for a number of years. The growth habit of vigorous inground trees is sprawling which makes covering easier, but late ripening.

I’d probably get a different Etna type or just propagate another Takoma Violet for the dependability and earlier ripening. I asked a friend and recent grad of the Culinary Institute to describe the flavors of a few Etna types a few years ago and took notes. She never mentioned berry when describing them because she says she was taught to recognize her preconceptions, but said yes, she did taste berry but that was also what she was expecting to taste so tried to ignore it or something…

Black Greek: fruity, extra sweet, honey, intense
Gino’s Black: watermelon rind, similar to Black Greek
Marseilles Black VS: “marshmallowy”, floral, tart

The flavors and appearance change from a number of factors though so take those subtle differences with a grain of salt :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks. Would Teramo taste different from Battaglia Green, Takoma Violet and RdB? It grows in Easton, Md not far from where I live and I know the Italian woman who brought it from Teramo. How cold hardy is it? In Easton it is Very sheltered- it’s downtown sandwiched between houses and guarded from wind. My location is much less protected and probably colder.

Who has tasted Teramo? I have not.

I have Teramo, I would compare it to sugar-type figs such as Florea, Improved Celeste. I would give it a bitt of an edge over Florea, but quite similar in that it produces breba and maincrop, is verymearly.

2 Likes

I’ve had it for two years now and have found it to be not so cold hardy. I know it was originally described as cold hardy, which is why I bought it, but mine died back to the snow line both years even with protection.

1 Like

My in ground Teramo also died back to the ground, same protection as the rest, most hardy were Mt etna types, these were all pretty equal in hardiness, among that group it will be ripening g time that will reveal a winner…

1 Like

If it were me, I would probably add Laradek’s EBT or similar and Celeste or maybe Improved Celeste to round out your flavors.

Another Mt Etna wouldn’t be bad. I’d probably choose Black Greek, Sal’s, or Salem Dark of the ones that I’ve grown.

Florea isn’t a bad fig either and very early ripening. It’s always the best in taste tests because there aren’t any competitors.

Atreano is good for drying.

2 Likes

I’ll second the suggestion of Laradek’s EBT. It is a nice big fig with a very good flavor and different enough than my others to be a good addition. It may have been my favorite fig last year. My only issue with it is that mine has FMV (as many of my figs do) and it seems to suffer from it more than my other figs, reducing yield and growth. But mine is in a container and might need to be repotted or need better fertilization, etc. In ground I expect the added vigor it would get would help it overcome FMV. Of course it would be best to get one without FMV, but it is a pretty rare fig and I’m not how easy that might be.

2 Likes

What do you think of Malta Black for hardiness and taste?

1 Like

My Malta Black tastes similar to the Mt Etnas, and froze to the ground like those I did not protect adequately this past winter. This was it’s first winter in ground so I cannot say it is hardy or not. It is at least alive. :slight_smile:
It is regrowing similar to them as well.

3 Likes

What eboone said plus it will fruit after dying back to the ground.

Well better than all of them would be Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley. It is a red fig, and is similar to Mt Etna types, but has a stronger more intense flavor. It’s my favorite fig. It is prolific, a strong grower and grows well in all climates.
A good sugar fig tastes caramel like. I like Osborn Prolific. it took a few fruiting seasons for the full flavor to be in the figs. I almost pulled it, now I treasure it. Huge fig too.

3 Likes

I am anticipating a good fig harvest this year with this super hot summer.

Tony

11 Likes

Drew, either of those root-hardy?

I found some weird website for cuttings of Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley:
https://www.magtustore.top/2-red-lebanese-bekaa-valley-tree-cuttings-rare-dark-fruited-variety-p-15908.htm

And there are (3) Osborn Prolific cuttings available on ebay for 30$ or Rolling River Nursery is selling live plants for 20$ plus whatever shipping is.

Any comments on those sources would be wonderful, too. Maybe you even know the ebay seller (?)

Dax

Tony, I’m coming over to your house to eat as well as to get some food off that awesome grill you have!

What Cornus kousa is that?

Dax

1 Like

I think the Che fruits and the Tennosui pear got stuck in those figs group photos. BTW, a couple of Jerry Lehman open pollinated hybrids persimmon scions took (400 series) and the male scion is starting to push. I want to cross it with the Prok D.V , H-118 D.V, and Early Golden D.V someday. I loved that grill.

Tony

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t think the 400-series are hardier than Nikita’s Gift. Aren’t they 50/50 Tony? I already forgot.

Thanks for the correction on the che.

Dax

1 Like

I think so, but not sure? I had a lot damaged last year, but not these two.

Yeah skip that, that picture is from Plant Creator’s EBay auction. They stole it!
Sunday I’m putting up a rooted cutting of Bekaa on EBay starting bid will be 8 bucks. I never sold figs before, so chances are it will go for cheap. 20 bucks postage, It’s is about a foot tall.
Rolling River is a good nursery but do make mistakes.
I don’t see any on EBay, Note Bass has a Lebanese Red, not that one, has to say Bekaa Valley. I have the bass fig, it’s OK, but not as good a Bekaa. Bass fig is different originating from Tripoli Lebanon (not the Bekaa valley). Oh wait you meant Osborn. yeah the seller is OK. I can get you cuttings for postage next winter.

2 Likes

If you look around late fall or winter you should be able to find Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley way easier. Chances of you finding a good source this time of year are not good.

1 Like

Well Dave Foster and Fruitnut have been selling like crazy, lot’s of good figs around. Both those guys are fig Gods!

2 Likes

I don’t have any infos on the 400 series, since you sent them and I just bark grafted them. Dr Kazas scion is also pushing. Is Dr Kazas a 25% Kaki 75% D.V ?

Tony