Cold hardy figs

I’m trying coir rooting for the first time, pretty good results. I’ll pot this up and put a baggie over it for humidity this weekend.

3 Likes

I purchased these cuttings so far this year:
Black jack
Black maderia
Monstreuse
Surcrette
Verte
I also bought a four inch potted Hardy Chicago.
So far I received the Black Maderia and am rooting it now.

1 Like

Hello,Jerry here,when you pot these up at what level would you put your planting mix?I will be rooting cuttings for the first time in a few days.when I saw this picture I was thinking how would I plant those. thank you

I work for a garden center and use the potting mix we blend. It’s a very light soil.

My brown turkey fig is still all foliage and no figs so I ordered a couple of Chicago Hardy figs

1 Like

Are those in ground? lt looks like they are but hard to tell. I have one Chicago that I rooted this year that’s three foot tall on one branch and about two foot tall on the other that looks like it might grow some figs. My B M fig I rooted this year has seven figs and looks like it will try to grow a dozen. Next year my Chicago’s are going in the ground. A friend of mine neighbor has three huge Brown Turkeys in big Roman style pots that don’t produce well for him either.

1 Like

Get Malta Black or Tacoma Violet, they are my best in ground figs thus far.

3 Likes

Thanks Ampersand I will look at those. What makes them better? Do they produce more figs?

Johnny,
Yes the brown turkey is in the ground. It’s several years old.

I have 15 in ground, those 2 have the most fruit with minimal protection. Most have no fruit.

3 Likes

One tree of a variety is really not enough to evaluate… A few years is not enough time either. If you had 15 trees from the same variety planted you would see there can be quite a bit of variation in productivity from tree to tree.

4 Likes

Do you have any experience with Nero 600M in ground?

Sorry for the late reply, but no. Mine is in a pot. I will eventually trial it in ground, but anecdotes from others lead me to think it won’t fruit well.

1 Like

No problem. How is it fruiting for you in the pot? Could you advise me on a smaller, cold hardy, highly productive dark berry fig for an in ground planting? Thanks for responding.

1 Like

Oops! I just got my answer further up the post. Sorry about that!

1 Like

I have to get those at some point. I have a bunch of found figs that I want to trial in the ground. I’ll slowly go through them. I’m in no hurry. Cuttings from my plants will be used for most. I do have one in ground now, and some unknowns from mix ups, discarded cuttings that rooted anyway etc. All in the ground.
I’m happy with pot culture. Amazing how well figs grow. The in ground is just for fun.

1 Like

Brown Turkey finally set a fig! This is the first fig produced at my place in Kansas. They upgraded my zone from 5b to 6a which is no doubt a factor. I attribute much of my success to the tricks of @tonyOmahaz5. Tony suggested pinching the branches back frequently and giving the fig additional nitrogen. Nitrogen is something I would not have ever applied when I was trying to get a tree to set fruit. Cannot argue with success. This fig was dead to the ground this year and every year since it was planted outside. Wanted to clarify that since figs set breba crops I’m told in warmer areas. For our zone we might get some figs from the right variety, grown the right way. How long will it take to ripen and how big will the fig get are still things I’m unable to answer.

5 Likes

Congrats Clark. My four in a hole fig bushes ripened in late October when the weather starting to cool and that gave them the signal.

Tony

1 Like

Tony,
This fig is about the size of a nickel now so October sounds about right. Hopefully there will be other figs. My two Chicago hardy figs are growing pretty slow so I put them in full sun this week. Do you have pictures of yours Tony?

I happened past my in-ground figs today and was quite surprised to find that one of them has a bunch of baby figs. It is a Hardy Chicago, which I planted last June, from cuttings Scott send with other scionwood. The two Alma, one on each side, are similar sized (about 4’ tall, with the same history), but don’t have any figs.

Is there any chance of these thumbnail sized figs ripening this year?

5 Likes