Cold weather will return to Southern California

The GFS weather model is predicting cold storms to impact California starting February 21st. The storms have the potential to bring Arctic Blasts, low-elevation snow, and Gusty winds.

2 Likes

Here’s the forecast for my area the middle of next week

Yep. Your cold in California means our warm soggy weather will continue in Kentucky. :slight_smile: Too soggy to do digging or tilling for forseeable future. But the sap will begin rising.

I hope it doesnt affect my peach/nectarine grafts too much. They spent two weeks in 75F+ weather, is that enough for callousing to begin?

Definite pattern change out west…models started hinting at it a few days ago. Still unsure how much/when moisture shows up in S California.

I’m not expecting much change in western San Diego county.

Here is a map of California. The northern “border” of southern Californa is roughly the dotted geomorphic line between the two red arrows I’ve inserted. From coastal areas (e.g., Oceanside CA) in USDA hardiness zone 11 you can drive a scant 35 miles east to an inland valley at elevation 1500’ in zone 9. There are several mountain ranges of significant height that traverse “SoCal” as well. It can be raining in one portion of SoCal and be dry and sunny in another. Lumping all of SoCal into one weather prediction is a fallacy.

1 Like

Not calling for any rain up here yet. But very chilly days and mornings coming up next week.

1 Like

There’s no relief in sight.

1 Like

The snowline was below 4,000ft in parts of San Bernardino county last night – down to 2500ft in the Beaumont CA area.

I guess we on the West coast were due. We broke a 75 year old record low last night for my location, for this late in the winter.

It was the first freeze of the winter in Oroville. No freeze would be really rare up there.

3 Likes