Common fruit that others like but you don't!

None so far.

3 Likes

Now that you mention it, it is interesting to note that dislike can be due not to taste but due to other things (texture, visuals, stuff like that). I love the taste of oranges but if there’s too much membrane on it, I can’t stand it. It’s a texture thing. I know I was put off by red beet soup for many years because it looked awful. Tried it eventually-delicious.

2 Likes

I’ve never explored different type mangos or their ripeness etc. —nothing about the taste has made me want to but I can understand that a good variety right off the tree picked when it should be might be a different experience. At present I would choose almost any other fruit over mango. @jujubemulberry I don’t think jujus and mangos have any similarities but even with apples that can be compared to jujubes it’s a hands down decision every time jujus over apples!

1 Like

I once had a ripe delicious mango-fabulous. It was almost like all the deliciousness of apricot crossed with a pineapple, in a firm (but not hard) texture.

All the other mangos I have tried have a nasty chemical aftertaste, like benzene or something. (Ok, granted I’ve never tasted benzene, but I’ve smelled it, and the taste is like what I imagine benzene would taste like.)

I think obtaining truly ripe mangos are very difficult across much of the US. I would definitely say an underripe mango is something I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole, but reserve judgement if you’re ever in a place that grows them there and you can get one super fresh and ripe.

2 Likes

I dont really care for mango. Not a big fan of persimmons, guava, passion fruit, or bananas for that matter either.

2 Likes

There’s hardly any fruit I dislike. I hate Jackfruit but that’s probably because I threw up gorging on it when I was a kid on a long train ride

4 Likes

Jujube - They are way to dry for me, it was like eating cardboard. These were from the Asian market so who knows how much they represented other jujube’s.

Ground cherry- I grew these in my garden and ate a couple of them a week all season long. They tasted ok but there was always a skunky after taste that I just couldn’t wrap my head around. After it was all said and done no matter how hard I tried I always thought they tasted weird.

1 Like

You didn’t get a good representation of a good fresh eating jujube…

Ground cherry…yeah, they are weird. I like them but if you don’t let them get dead ripe then they aren’t tasty

1 Like

LOL. As a kid I ate nearly a quart of black olives one day after school. Got so sick that I couldn’t stand even the smell for 2 decades.

2 Likes

I am very far from being a mango expert, but if you ever want to give them another try, you might keep an eye out for the smaller yellow ones. Compared with the larger red and green ones, the small-and-yellows seem to have a mellower taste (less piney-ness) and creamier texture (less fibrous). They also seem to be much more dependable in terms of quality, they’re easier to ripen, and they seem to keep ripe longer. Around here they seem to be available seasonally here (my wife buys them by the box from an Asian market, and the boxes do not last long in our house, but I have also seen them at the grocery store, though not quite as dependably).

Anyone have any suggestions for papayas I should try? Or (shudder) pickled plums?

1 Like

In my experience there’s just no comparison between fresh, locally grown mangos and those shipped in from other states/countries. The same is true for many other fruits and is probably the reason all of us here grow our own.

4 Likes

I don’t care much for pineapples. Not many fruits I don’t like other than that. I haven’t tasted many fruit varieties often mentioned here…like jujube, persimmon, mulberry etc. I’m keeping my eyes open for those, will buy and try next time I spot them.

1 Like

moth balls

The mangoes mentioned above may be the Ataulfo, or honey mango. I found them to be very boldly flavored and smooth-textured.

2 Likes

they really don’t, but reason i mentioned it is that i normally find people naive to mangos more likely to love mangoes at first bite. Even speaking for myself, it took me several tries of several varieties, and over several years, to actually realize i favor jujus more than i do apples.

wow, it is quite clear that you love jujubes more than i do
i mean, for you to say something like that and this early in your “jujube-career”, with your trees being so young and don’t have many cultivars yet…
your 75 + seedlings and pending grafts should somehow quench your desire for more trees, even if slightly :grin:

1 Like

Mangoes are my favorite fruit. But like Richard mentioned, they have to be the right variety, picked at the right time and most of the time, ripened off the tree indoors at room temperature for a week or longer until they’re ready to be eaten. Any one of these variables is off and you have a bad mango experience. But if there is congruence of all of the above, then they’re a slice of paradise. I have “Mallika”, “Keitt”, “Fascell”, “Haden”, “Nam Doc Mai” and “Valencia Pride”, common varieties in Miami. The Benzene taste is actually “Turpentine” varieties which are mainly used for rootstock. The fruit on these trees is small and full of fiber, but they’re vigorous as rootstocks. It is conceivable that graft failures end up with turpentine mangoes because the rootstock took over. The result will be these inferior fruits. Just like apples, mangoes come in hundreds of varieties, and the flavor range is bewildering…

6 Likes

I had forgotten the name, but you’re right, it’s Ataulfo that I was talking about. And I agree with your description. I have no trouble believing Richard when he says that fresh and locally grown ones are far better, but I’ve been quite happy with the Ataulfos we’re able to get here, and they seem to be far more reliable than the big red ones (which I also like quite well when they’re good, though it seems like they more and more frequently are not).

I live in Massachusetts, so growing mangos would be pretty tough here.

2 Likes

They are stubbornly zone 11-12, although at the Fairchild Gardens repository they coax them into amazing production. A few commercial farms tried producing them in the Coachella Valley region (SE California) but failed. The most reliable sources are Central America and esp. India where they are native. There are a few hobbyists growing them in coastal-influenced areas of San Diego. For myself, I’m growing an Ataulfo-type.

1 Like

know exactly how that feels. Jacfruit is one fruit i know that seems to harbor staph(or other GI pathogens) straight from the hands of the person preparing it. Have eaten bananas, mangos, papayas, coconuts, durian, that have been sliced in the usual unsterile conditions of the tropics, but it has always been jacfruit that gets me! Still love jacfruit though, as long as i am the one butchering it! Thus said, i don’t buy them sliced/prepared, i buy the whole fruit.

grocery store jujus don’t represent the better-quality jujus grown in prime conditions. If the asian market near you is still selling jujus, there’s a good chance they are more juicy now, compared to buying them in august, even if the same cultivar.

immature ones and certain cultivars do have an aromatic hydrocarbon smell and taste. I think it was turpentine/kerosene you were pertaining to

a good mango cultivar at a prime stage is a hard-to-beat fruit! Same with papayas and pineapples.

btw, the fibrous mangos are generally better-tasting when mature but at half-ripe stage(crisp to chewy stage, instead of soft stage).

ataulfo’s are pretty good at the half-ripe stage, just as they are at the soft stage. The best ataulfo’s often present with their fruit-stalk scars appearing depressed, like a dimple, due to the plumpness of the flesh around it. Actually, this applies to all mangos. Mangos that are denser/sink in water are also likely to be mature. Mangos that ooze relatively plenty sap when nicked are not as desirable as those that are dryish, when matched against degree of hardness/softness. There’s a bit of einstein’s relativity that applies.

1 Like

Being a matter of taste … I disagree completely!