Costco Trees

Again, these new Grower’s Choice are different from what they offered a couple years ago when I always got what the tag said. If these don’t work, you can take them back to Costco years from now. That’s what I did with that pear I got from them.

1 Like

Actually the same trees, growers choice is just the new name burchell is using with big box stores. They used to be tommorows harvest. Also only certain varieties available at Costco, where as tommorows harvest, sold at nurseries, has the really good early, late stuff. I believe burchell lays claim to ohenry peach, they specialize in peaches and nectarines. Being that Costco is selling the old stuff, they might be better in keeping their varieties marked correctly. Also, most people would not know the difference from a ohenry and a redhaven once fruited. Of course we know that ohenry is late and delicious and redhaven is early and bland in California, but most would just think that they have what is marked on the tree. This happens a lot!!

1 Like

What is this tree’s at Costco thing folks are speaking of? Does anyone in Zone 5 in the upper Midwest have a report on whether their Costco sells trees?

I have not seen any trees at Costco here in my town. In fact, I have never seen a bare-root tree at a nursery or other garden center here. Many have bare-root small fruits, but not trees.

FWIW, they are a great company to work for and treat/compensate their people quite well. My wife has been an optician there for 9 years

4 Likes

Whatever money that I might potentially save at Costco is probably way less than treating the aneurysm I get trying to find a parking spot in my local Costco!

7 Likes

Yup, and unlike other big boxes, they provide health care for their employees so other tax payers don’t have to subsidize their corporation. It’s amazing they can do this and still compete with the bargain houses that don’t.

4 Likes

Ha ha, if you’re talking about the Almaden Costco I feel your pain. I find Friday nights best time to shop there.

My favorite citrus purchase was a bears lime from Costco on semi-dwarf rootstock. Grows much better than my Four Winds citrus trees they are so slow. My best performing BB was a Legacy variety bought at Costco, wholesaler was in Oregon.

1 Like

I don’t shop at Costco, but I get impacted trying to park at Trader Joe’s next door.

My Bearss lime is doing great in a pot which I bought at Home Depot. But it is a FWG tree!

1 Like

What is your production from it? My in ground bears lime (2 years in this location) gave me about 50 limes this year. Maybe 20 last. I like the fruit to go full yellow, and freeze the juice in ice cubes.

1 Like

About 20 or so in its 2nd year. I have a couple fruitlets from last year right now. A few branches started weeping to the ground so I took them out. But it is flushing nicely now.

Did you cover it during the cold nights? I kept it exposed all winter long in a terracotta pot.

1 Like

I’ve heard that Costco is much better than Sam’s Club. Unfortunately the closest Costco is 75 miles away while the closest Sam’s Club is 5 miles away.

1 Like

It is against a south wall now, protected. Was a mild winter this year too my passionfruit had minimal damage.

1 Like

Luckily down here most of the major box stores I have seen get their trees from a large local nursery in Texas. So they are well suited to the area I plant my trees. Though mainly I buy my trees from a local nursery about 40 miles from my ranch.

2 Likes

I’m surprised you’re worried about the cold, I’m located in Livermore (chillier than SJ) and mine received zero protection, and has zero damage?

My first year I planted the lime in the front yard. Frost damage killed all branches back 6-12 inches and I got no fruit the first year (although it was young too). I dug it up that spring and now it’s been two winters against a south wall with no issues, although these last two winters were milder and it would have been fine in the front for them. Limes definitely aren’t as cold hardy as lemons. San Jose is loaded with big lemon trees but I’ve never seen a large lime except from a friends neighbor at it was against a south well as well. When my lime was damaged the lemon right next to it was fine.

2 Likes

Huh, I guess you are in a cold pocket. My inground Bearrs was also first year in the ground this past year, and I think we got to 28f one night here in Livermore, and it sustained no damage. I do have a Mexican Lime however, and that is against a south wall. (Full of blooms)

I don’t think it’s a cold pocket, lots of the concrete jungle around me. Give a few more winters you will get damage. Not sure how accurate those charts are, but for example 28 is okay for a couple of hours, but if you have multiple nights/hours in a row I think it will damage. This year was mild. They year my bears lime was damaged my passionfruit was fatally injured by cold. Past two winters passionfruit had minor cold damage. I have a key lime next to my bearrs as well loaded with blooms and still holding a dozen or so plump limes.

1 Like

Just happened to find one of the old tags from one of my Costco cherry multi-graft trees today. Here in Utah, we used to get them from Willow Drive Nursery. I wish we were still getting them from them.

4 Likes

Most definitely different nursery as burchell doesn’t grow Benton cherry. Here in California Costco stonefruit trees have always been burchell, just changed names from tommorows harvest to growers pride. Still hard to beat that price and warranty though. Have you tried Benton yet, looks like I’m going to have to wait another year. That looks like a great multi graft varieties options tree! Enjoy

2 Likes

Not sure if I have tried Benton or not. This was my last cherry tree that I purchased (I have 4 of them), and back then I didn’t care about the labels for the tree which didn’t have them on it. I think it was one of the last ones available, so I took it anyway. Obviously I know the Rainier, but can’t be sure about the rest.

1 Like