Costco Trees

Bob,
Do you remember what the price of smaller size trees at your Costco is?
Here for a small tree, 4ft tall, costs $15.99. I checked Burchell website, they charge $64.98 for this variety. Ridiculously expensive.

@Olpea, have you heard of a peach called Summer Lady? Costco selks it and from the pic, fruit It looked attractively very red.

Mamuang, I don’t think I’ve heard of that peach. If I have I’ve forgotten about it.

It is another Burchell tree. It is only $15. Maybe, I just buy it and grow it in pot. I am interested in trying an unknown variety (unknown to GF members).

It is hardy from zone 6-9 but as a California trees, I wonder how cold hardy it actually is.

1 Like

Give it a go. Btw, can’t help noticing the tool box in the background. Like that!

Just for kicks,. Here is a zard apricot this year.

3 Likes

The toolbox is obviously not mine. That’s why it is still in good condition after many years.

Your Zard is quite ahead of mine. My Zard and Moniqui are still at a calyx red stage.

1 Like

Costco didn’t have any small fruit trees. At least that I could see. Just big Golden Delicious and multi-graft cherry.

I was really hoping to find some Burchell trees at mine. $15 is a great price. I paid ~$100 for one (Pumpkin Spice- orange colored and ripe around Halloween) last year including shipping.

Were any of the other trees from Burchell? I guess I need to try visiting some other Costco. But they are spread pretty far apart, so it isn’t a quick hop.

Nice pick! Though you probably want an “r” in the first word. None of the definitions I could find for Feckle sounded like something you’d want on your face :slight_smile:

A bit off topic, but I noticed something interesting with my apricots. I have some on the North side of my house and some a bit to the side. I happen to have a Amadiocot graft in both locations. The one to the side (and further from the house) had about half it’s blooms open last Monday. One on the North side of the house (not even right up against it, but ~15’ away) just reached that stage today, a week later.

It looks like the first Zard flower opened today for me. That graft is on a tree to the North of the house- I should check the rest of the yard, as I may have another 1-2 Zard grafts somewhere (there are grafts everywhere…my grafting spreadsheet recently passed #1500…).

2 Likes

The Burchell trees at this Costco in Dedham, MA are Freckle Face ( thanks for spelling correction) nectarine and Summer Lady peach. I’ve asked my husband to go back and buy me a Summer Lady. Hopefully, he can get back there before it’s gone. It is a two-hour round trip.

Wish you were near, we could bought them for you.

Off topic, too. What trees your Amadiocot grafted on, please, an apricot, a peach or a plum tree? It was the cot that did not take when grafted on my peach trees, two years in a row. Perfect scionwood, great cambium contact, good temp for it. Other cots like Tomcot, Robada, Zard, Moniqui and Orangered grafted the same time all took and have grown well, not Amadio, very disappointing to me.

Here’s a pic of it just prior to planting.

I was able to graft Amadiocot onto 3 trees: Delight cherry plum, K1 rootstock (a plum hybrid I think), and Montrose apricot (which collapsed under the late (very heavy) snow last month. I don’t graft anything other than peaches onto peach, as I tend to lose them to borers. Only apricots die more frequently…So I’ve been trying to put everything I can get away with onto some sort of plum. In fact, I’ll probably do some peach grafting onto plums this year as well.

These two pics show the impact of location (I think- I suppose it could be rootstock too…) on apricot bloom time.
More open location with rocks behind:

Shaded on North of house:

Wow- I thought that they were spaced out around me, but in comparison they are right next door. There is one a town away (~15 minutes), but we just bought a multi-family there, so I can combine trips. After all, I had to plant a bunch of jujubes.

As long as I’m posting pictures of flowers, here’s a pic of the front lawn- as best I can tell, this stuff is Celandine, an invasive. Very pretty though at this time of year. It may not be as nice during it’s 6 month dormancy cycle from June-Feb. Note the newly transplanted gooseberries and currants (and one mulberry) in the background.

1 Like

I love the yellow flowers,very pretty,especially early spring when other flowers are not bloomingIt yet.

Those look like dandelions to me.

I looked up Celandine, they don’t look like your weeds.

Back to Costco: one is 45 mins away, the other (we prefer) is an hour away. Going shopping there is a trip in itself.

1 Like

Dandelions are a more 3 dimensional flower with additional layers of thinner petals. The yellow flowers in the pic are mostly in one plane of thicker petals, aside from the bit in the center. It’s hard to see some of them, but the ones near the bottom of the pic are clearer.

I think it is referred to as “Lesser Celandine”

Aside from the 15 minute away one, there are two others which are possibilities- ~30 minutes away, not too far from one of the places I play badminton and another about 40 minutes away, in a direction I don’t go too often.

Bob,
My husband was at Costco today and texted me pics of fruit trees sold there. I chose September Free nectarine on Lovell. It will be grown in pot, at least for a foreseeable future.

$19 for a 4.5-5 ft good looking tree with a 1- 3/4” trunk size, another impulse buy :smile:

6 Likes

Very good price. Hope the fruits are sweet too.

1 Like

I waa at Rural King today and they still had some fruit stuff outside compared to about 3 weeks ago. I was checking to see if they still had any potted Romance series cherry bushes left, and they had about a dozen Juliet and Carmine Jewel, which I was interested in, but had to say no. Mostly because I was driving some else’s car, and there wasn’t enough room for them. Although, maybe I coukd have put it in the passenger seat and put the seat belt on it…

How much were they asking for the romance bushes? They are selling them at Bordines near me. I called and asked about them. He told me that they were $59 but they have a storewide ten% off. He was saying that these are two foot tall trees grown from plugs that were bought online. Then he tells me the ones yo get on line are only little bitty trees so their trees are a good deal. I didn’t say anything. I thought they were overpriced. I’m thinking the big box stores will be selling them soon. I wonder if the big box stores are selling them in Can. yet? Just wondering if your local stores have better pricing.

Annie,
It’s trees from Burchell Nursery. Funny that they sell several exclusive varieties of nectarines, apples, cherries, apricots, etc? but no peaches!!!

I hope it is as good as advertised. It says hardy from zone 5-9 but I have my doubt about zone 5 for trees from CA.

September Free ripens in mid July…!!

It could be in Sept where I live :smile:

Hopefully, I will find out next year if it survives my winter.

Is September free a good variety? I saw that at our local Costco too. I didn’t pay attention to all the other varieties. Maybe I should have…

There is very limited info about this variety. I just took a gamble because it is reasonable priced and it should survive my winter.

The Costco my hubby shopped at also has Reliance, O’Henry and Cresthaven peaches, Gravenstein apple, Tomcot apricot, and a Coral Champagne sweet cherry, that I never heard before.

1 Like