Could this be a sport

What are the odds of this being a sport? I have seen fast growing branches from the previous year’s pruning bloom later than an established branch but this is an old spur.

3 Likes

Hmmm. . . time will tell

It’s certainly a possibility.

Sure looks to me that it is. Are the flowers different as in do you have a photo of the other flowers to compare?

Keep records Ron. Watch for time differences in bloom/fruit formation so you know how much later it blooms. That’s about where you’re at right now. Hopefully, you’ll get some fruit too to watch in all development stages (shape to compare with the rest of your tree, size, & when it matures compared to the rest of your tree).

Keep as many records as you can. Fruit shape, in all stages, on and on. Photos, photos, photos.

Start budding it this summer. You gotta have back-ups immediately of these occurrences.

Good luck! Looks sporty!

Dax

4 Likes

Late blooms could mean that it would escapes frost/cold damage.

2 Likes

Auburn, I agree, the two week later blooming could be big. I don’t know the variety of the plum I grafted it some 20 years ago. It would be a very good one for a homesteader or someone who wants to be off the grid. It is a consistent and heavy cropper and makes great jam but in my opinion second rate for flavor.

Dax, I’ll put a tag on it and monitor it.

2 Likes