Couple Schatt & Morgan Knives to Look At

Both have sheepsfoot blades. I’m really convinced Schatt & Morgan makes some of the best knives in the world.

Rockwell hardness of steel should be a consideration, but I completely understand not everyone will spend 80-100$ on a grafting knife.

Ideal Rockwell hardness should be 58 and above.

The largest blade is called: Schatt & Morgan Cotton Sampler
The blade with less width is what Schatt & Morgan calls the Joe Pardue Cotton Sampler.

Any Schatt & Morgan knife with the words “File & Wire Tested” on the blade are made of ATS-34 Steel with a Rockwell hardness of 60-61

All the Joe Pardue Cotton Sampler knives are made of D2 steel which is Rockwell 59-60

Of course the handles come in various materials and colors. My File & Wire Tested is cow bone while my Joe Pardue is elk horn.

Two more things:

I have my knives professionally sharpened by Frank Surace in Chicago. His business is ‘The Art of Sharp.’ He will put an edge on your knife that is sharper than you may ever be able to put on it yourself… even with decades of knife sharpening under your belt. He uses Japanese water stones and the cost is 7$. I’ve spent two hours using stones and never came close.

Until my Joe Pardue knife was returned today I was trying to make cuts on a scion 1.5" long with about 1/2" below the single bud and that first knife, the “file & wire tested” Schatt & Morgan Cotton Sampler blade was too large.

For the grafter who wants it all, I can see the Joe Pardue Schatt & Morgan Cotton Sampler as being the very best knife around.

Your knife (D2 Steel) should be kept oiled after you’ve grafted. Ballistol or WD-40 should be used to clean and preserve its steel. (same for all steels)

When you send your knife in to Frank Surace, you must write a note that “this is a knife for grafting trees.” And tell him which side must have the single bevel and that the other side of the knife may not have any bevel and must be flat. You can help him by taping a tiny piece of paper with an “x” on it on the side that is to be sharpened. Always write a note though and include your phone #.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dax

10 Likes

Sounds awesome, and also about the sharpening guy. I myself prefer to use the ARS cleaner to lubricate my blades. It is designed to remove organic resins like tree sap. The Japanese are very good at everything they do. WD-40 has long ago been replaced in my house with Motorkote, a far superior lubricant and protectant.
I have been using the ARS cleaner on my ARS pruners for 5 years. Here what they look like after 5 years. Two or 3 times I left them outside all night, once in the rain.

I sharpen these with Japanese sharpening stones.

2 Likes

Sweet. Them are a shiny penny.

I stumbled onto Ballistol. It’s funky smelling but it’s designed as all purpose but it’s guns that people buy it for to preserve and clean. I figured I really couldn’t go wrong. It’s expensive even with free Amazon shipping.

Dax

1 Like

Slip; Are those vintage knives?

No I believe the cow bovine is a 2008. I bought it directly from TSA Knives.

The other I bought on ebay. I don’t know what year it is though. I’ve never seen another Joe Pardue made of Elk Horn, however.

Dax

Hi @Barkslip, Did you get a chisel edge put on these knives? How long do you go before these knives need to be resharpened?

It has a grafting edge. Only one side is sharpened (like a chisel, yes.)

These are really good steel. I’ll probably go two years using one full-time. You’ll know when it’s time, naturally-speaking.

Dax

Yeah everyone has their own approach, I sharpen after every few uses, as I don’t ever want to let the blade get too dull, too hard to resharpen. Of course I’m using a cheap knife anyway. I like it as I have good results with it.A one sided blade is a must if you ask me.

Okay, no way I would recommend the Joe Pardue over the other larger Schatt & Morgan Cotton Sampler knife. The non Pardue is way more ergonomic to the hand with the blade heading slightly forward vs the Joe Pardue being straight across making you turn your hand inward toward your body. The large Cotton Sampler is just a more natural knife to hold in the hand.

Best regards,

Dax

2 Likes

Thanks. I was wondering which one was the preferred one.

1 Like

No question about it. Boy is it nice.

What I didn’t mention too is the handle is larger. Much better. It’s like it’s contoured shape was designed for the human hand. The Joe Pardue knives are not contoured.

Dax

Best deal on the internet. @hambone bought one and sent it to the sharpener in Chicago: Frank Surace ‘The Art of Sharp’.

Schatt & Morgan File & Wire Moss Green WG Bone Cotton Sampler

ATS-34 steel. The best.

Dax

3 Likes