Damn rabbits!

This rabbit ate my greens last fall.
Then he got eaten.

4 Likes

Wabbit, its whats for dinner!

2 Likes

A fully grown adult rabit can be a little tuf fried…
But those juvinile rabbits… half to 3/4 grown are fine eating. Fry them just like you would chicken… delicious.

Same is true for squirrel and groundhog.
IMO all 3 have a little better flavor than chicken.

4 Likes

Ever try brining one? I haven’t brined a bunny (yet), but since I started brining our chickens before roasting I’m regretting not doing it sooner. Makes them super tender, super moist, just “better” all the way around IMO.

3 Likes

@smsmith … have not tried that but sounds like something i need to learn more about.

Work on deer ?

I have not tried it on venison, but I’d imagine it would work just as well.

Backstraps and hanging loins are about all I keep away from the grinder. Most everything else goes into some form of sausage product or ground and mixed with 25% beef burger.

1 Like

@smsmith … i have always soaked deer meat in a salt brine… just salt and water. My dad and granddad did that… so me too.

I never really knew why or heard them say why… but did it.

Several years ago i started fermenting cukes to make pickles… and learned that bad bacteria does not thrive in a salt brine but good bacteria does… so during the fermentation process the good bacteria wipe out the bad.

No idea if my dad and grandad soaked deer meat in a salt brine for that reason.

In your brine any secret ingredients that I need to know about ?

Water + salt + ???

I have heard that some incude ACV and expect that might help tenderize.

Thanks

2 Likes

Zero secrets. 1 cup salt, 1 cup soy sauce, 3/4 cup sugar (you can omit for keto, but i doubt much sugar ends up in the meat, it mainly helps with browning) into 3 quarts hot water. I mix it in a ziploc until the solids are dissolved. Add 1.5 quarts of ice cubes to cool it off, put meat in bag, refrigerate for 24 hours.

With chickens, I remove the bird, pat dry, put on a wire rack over another pan (catching drips)and store in the fridge for two days. Then roast. The 2 days in the fridge dries the skin, leading to delicious, crispy chicken skin. :slight_smile:

I would omit the drying time for red meat and bunnies

2 Likes