Damn rabbits!

Mango and watermelon

I got lucky. Two days before he showed up I moved a piece of wood covering an area of my shed allowing him access to the underneath. He moved in and gave me opportunity to put two traps right outside his hole. He really loved my sunflowers. I’ve got an explosion of sunflower seedlings from composting the flowers. They’re growing all over my veggie garden so I’ve been transplanting them along my drip lines.

1 Like

Waternelon and cantaloupes do not work for me. May try ripe mangoes.

Another garden eater bites the dust… Home made snare is definitely effective. 2nd rabbit from this spot this summer. Also missed one due to failed wire. Switched over to 7x7 cable with locking device and there is no more escaping!

2 Likes

Ground hogs are much worse than rabbits. Ground hogs will climb fences and dig under them and the damage they do is much quicker. My experience has been that rabbits are much less persistent… they’ll go for whatever is easiest.

2 Likes

I haven’t caught a one all year

A very young doe dropped 5 babies last evening, on top of the mulch in the rose garden. Must have been her first birth. No hole , no camoflage, to hide the new babies. All were gone by morning.

1 Like

Just a cry…
This year rabbits are unbelievable. For 14 years I live at my place I never ever saw so many of them and saw them to be so aggressive. They don’t care if I use fabric netting(chew through) or metal garden fence with 2 X2 inch cell(the small one got through). They dig under and jump over, I lost some strawberries, almost all of my alpine strawberries, half of the beans(all, I thought, protected), not counting self seeded dill. Right now there are probably 5-6 of them on my 6000 sq ft, from tiny to huge. They are not afraid of me (unless I try to catch them) or of any metal fences (and they should be!) I am afraid even think about what it will be next year. And I also wondering why it is that sudden jump in population?
From the control perspective I am hopeless - we can’t shoot in the city, they do now go to the live traps, I can’t use poison on the big ones, as the other animals will eat the bite… As of now I am targeting small ones by placing rodent bites into (former) beans enclosure with 2X2 netting, so small ones can get in… Not sure though if they will eat it…

2 Likes

I put this one around “most” of my raised bed gardens. The rabbits will sit by it munching the grass but none including the babies have made it in. They mowed my unprotected roses and raspberries during the winter. There is a woodchuck I’ve only seen once this season and it hasn’t entered either.

1 Like

You are just lucky… Just saw a small one getting out after finishing my beans…

1 Like

Galina,
I complain about how many rabbits we have in our yard and neighbors’ everyday. They are not afraid of me, either. I am mad enough now that I can kill it with stone if I had a better aim.

4 Likes

Not an easy task… Tried…

2 Likes

I swear, sometimes, when I chase after a bunny, it stops and waits for me to catch up.:confounded:

6 Likes

Funny that this thread came to me today. Rabbits just showed up in my flower garden. I’ve used Malorganite around my flowers they eat and it works, but now they are eating my Joe Pie weeds and Black Eyed Susan’s.

1 Like

Nope, it pretends it is hiding… Mine do the same…

1 Like

Tippy, do they target your watermelons? Mine watermelons are very small yet and covered with dollar store wire trash cans, But I have to figure out another option as they grow. If I use fencing it has to be at least 3’ high, but then I wouldn’t be able to reach the plants. And removable is not an option as well, as melons will climb on any fences… I am at the point when I am ready just to pull all up, all the plants rabbits care about rather than look how they eat them one by one…

2 Likes

It ate a few leaves of one of my watermelon butdid not kill it. Last year, I sprayed my watermelons and other plants I want to protect with deer and rabbit repellant. It works as long as you have other things for rabbits to munch on. I have plenty of other things they can eat so they eat those first.

They like tender plants like petunias, nasturtiums, unfirtunately.

3 Likes

if you cant get a pellet gun, get a slingshot and some marbles. practice on soda cans. :wink: bonk them in the head and theyre done. rabbits are easy to kill. embrace your inner hunter!

2 Likes

Steve,
I am very familiar with sling shots. Grew up where every kid knew how to use it. However, “familiar” is the key word. It has not developed into mastery (doubt it ever will).

Now I live in a small subdivision with a small yard. I suspect I would likely hit my or my neighbor’s car instead of any rabbit with a sling shot.

4 Likes

This is so bad for you because your gardens and orchard are like a fortress. Animals and food. Especially fancy food!. . .

2 Likes