Dealing with severe black knot

Looks like cambium injury from sudden cold when sap was flowing.

2 Likes

I pruned out two more small limbs with black knot today. One was from my Bavay the other was on a mirabelle. We have almost has non-stop, fog, or rain and it is so horrible fir my stone fruit. All of the plums are now looking like small olives. If it ever stops raining I will spray.:disappointed:

@BobVance so far this is the peach on plum for now. We’ll see in a couple months what happens.

2 Likes

Pruned of two branches of Mirabelle, Parfume de Septembre, due to Black Knot. Planted the tree in 2014. First time having BK on it.

1 Like

It is all of the rain we have been having!

1 Like

You probably right but E plum are quite susceptible. Glad I planted mine in full sun and prune to open center. That has helped.

1 Like

Just cut it out from Parfume de Septembre.

4 Likes

Ugly isn’t it? I bought Indar!

1 Like

Nasty one!

1 Like

@ltilton, yup. Ugly knot.

@mrsg47, I use Indar for brown rot. I don’t know how effective it is against black knot. I have not seen anyone hear mention it for black knot.

1 Like

I pruned out a bunch of similar looking knots today. I think I am finally on top of this year’s knot flare-up…

1 Like

So thought I, but I spotted a new, larger than the rest, knot today that will take out a whole branch

1 Like

I am glad that the last few I caught it early on so they were still brown knot :grin:

4 Likes

I just removed a spot on one of my full size trees. I knew it was a bad omen when I saw an infested native cherry while collecting maple sap this year. It was the first infection on my trees in over 5 years… maybe closer to 10 years. It’s a testament to how dry the growing seasons have been here. Of course,all my trees are spaced far apart and get full sun.

1 Like

In this example of Black Knot, when would have inoculation occurred? That looks like year old wood. Was it initially infected last year and now showing.
The reason I ask is so far this year I have only BK on last years wood. Last year I had a Methley badly infected and cut it down over the winter. I don’t know of any other sources around.

1 Like

The knot started on the last year’s wood. You could not see it because it’s short (about 1.5" stump) that a couple of new branches grew off from it. The knot covered that short stump totally and into new wood so it looked like BK on new wood but it’s not. I should have taken pic from the other side, you’d see the last year’s wood.

This BK spot was in the inside of the tree. I saw it when I pruned off a couple of branches to open the inside to light.

The other day on the same tree, I found BK on a lower branch shaded by other branches. It is important to open up the tree to light as it help lessen disease pressure and increase sugar in fruit. .

3 Likes

Which is great for brown rot. Wish it worked as well for BK.

1 Like

I have tons of brown rot! My euro plums seem to like it . Just hoping another fungus might be stopped!

1 Like

It worked with brown rot. Last year, I sprayed once on my cherries. Worked like charm.

Hopefully, it will work with peaches this year but all my peaches are in bags. Bags definitely help with OFM, CP and CM but don’t know how Indar would work through the bags. Always something :worried:

1 Like

Better than propiconazole? Than Pristine?

I can’t see buying Yet Another fungicide unless it’s guaranteed golden

1 Like