Desert Rose

The rain finally stopped and out came the sun and so my desert rose.

Tony

3 Likes

Very nice!

When I originally saw the thread title, my thoughts turned to: The Desert Rose Band :smile:

desert rose song by sting also rings a bell. The music video was shot in las vegas. But sadly, the desert rose cannot be grown outdoors, as it gets too cold here.

intriguingly, while i cannot successfully grow it in las vegas, i raised several of these outdoors in wet and humid philippines.
one of the few native plants from the middle east which could actually be grown outdoors and year-round in the tropics.

1 Like

Gosh, that is just gorgeous, Tony. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Tony,

You are so green thumb. I can be green thumb with outdoor plants. I’ve killed quite a few indoor plants. My banana plants look bad during the winter indoors.

Your desert rose is beautiful.

Very pretty flowers , Tony

Tony,

Your desert rose looks beautiful. Like mammuang, I’m not very green thumb with indoor plants.

I have one but grew leggy after 5 years with very little foliage on tops so I just chopped it down last week and trying to re-graft it per youtube videos. It’s currently in the IC unit, not ready for visitor yet!

Tom

Tom

2 yrs ago my in laws wanted one. I went to Walmart and bought one with 4 branches on top. I then cleft grafted the 3 that I got to the 3 branches and now their Desert Rose with multi colors looks better than mine. Lol. You can multi graft yours too. I water them once a week with Miracle gro liquid drops that I mixed in a gallon of water. They just needed lots of sunshine by the West facing windows.

Tony

Tom

I thought you may like my epiphyllum flowers. They only blooms once a year but sure are beautiful. Lots of my friends asked for a leaf to start a new plant for themselves. I told them just get a nice pot with good potting soils and stick the leaf in about 4 inches deep and they will grow.

Tony

Ha!

Tony,

We have quite similar stuff! I have that too! But again, I don’t have a very green thumb! For a few times that my epiphyllum flowers, it does not look as pretty as yours! I have this epiphyllum for like over 10 years but it flowered for me like 3 times! You got to teach me how to make them flower more often!

Here’re my “Desert Rose” and the epiphyllum! None in good shape but I never give up!

Tom

Tony, that is simply magnificent! Beautiful.

Tom

This is what I feed both the Desert Rose and Epiphyllum. I used 10 drops per Quart of water. I water them once a week. The Epiphyllum likes partial shade and not full sun. Too much sun will burn its leaves.

Tony

Tony that is truly beautiful.

Tony,

I think I did the exact opposite! I kept the desert rose in door due to its vibrant flower color and put the Epiphyllum outside but none ever get fertilizer! And I didn’t bother to research or ask questions!

So how do you get the Epiphyllum to flower? If I remembered correctly, I think the flower pedals of mine is all same shape, like a sword, not round pedals like yours.

Tom

Tony, I grow Epiphyllum as well. Yours is very beautiful!

Tom

There are lots of different varieties. Mine is real lengthy that I had to anchor to the 5-6 feet green plastic rods from Home Depot. I Had to prune off all the high branches every summer or else they would grow to over nine feet tall. They really like the partial shade and the liquid Miracle-gro. I bought a red variety last year and hopefully it will flower soon.

IL847

Is your as tall as mine?

Tony

https://www.google.com/search?q=epiphyllum+photos&biw=1920&bih=986&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HsRkVe33O8busAXr7IGgCw&ved=0CCAQsAQ&dpr=1

Tony,

From the picture link above, I found one that looks like what my Epiphyllum produced when it felt like!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmb9p4k6VHHRUhuPPDRCOvNcn6PU_DsODS819VaZIC6xH56gHVfA

So you put it in the partial shade, water it with liquid Miracle-gro and flowers would come?

I think I’ve been abusing my plants for the longest of time!!!

Tom

Tony, I put mine in warm basement during the winter time, The main stem can grow quite long. Mine has fragrance/scent when it blooms.

Tom, Epiphyllum like to have tight feet. When it is pot bond, it will start to bloom.