Does anyone grow the pear 'Bloodgood'?

I have been wondering how it compares with other varieties and would be interested in any personal experience with it.
Thanks in advance .

Had it years ago, along with another red-fleshed, Rottkottis Frau Ostergotland, or something like that.
Neither one lived long enough to fruit, before being taken by fireblight.

I grafted a branch of RF Ostergotland 2 years ago, so I may be able to comment on that one in the next year or two.

I’d never heard of the Bloodgood pear, but after reading about it, it seems like a good one to try.

This page mentions that if a late frost kills the flowers, the tree will put out a second bloom 4-6 weeks later and thus always have a crop. I didn’t know that any pears did that…

Interestingly, even though the name has “blood” in it, the flesh is yellowish/white. It was introduced by a James Bloodgood, a nurseryman from Long Island in 1835. AJ Downing describes it as the best pear of its season (late July, early August).

The ARS entry says that it is “resistant to blight, healthy, bear young and regularly, are long-lived”. Evidently, it wasn’t resistant enough to be long-lived in Lucky’s location. But, based on the descriptions I want to give it a try. Maybe I’ll request it next year from ARS.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info on RF Ostergotland. It may be similar to the Summer Blood Birne. The ARS image of the interior of the fruit is certainly intriguing. Good look it; I’ll look forward to your comments . . . .

Ahh. That was it. I had SBB & RFO, not Bloodgood.

1 Like

One of my pears did a second bloom and produced small fruits on the second bloom that ripened. Last year was an unusual year like that. That ARS description sounds really good on this one. A second set of blooms from my experience is a double edged sword. Fireblight can be a problem during bloom time.

1 Like

Do you recall what variety it was? [quote=“clarkinks, post:6, topic:654”]

That ARS description sounds really good on this one. A second set of blooms from my experience is a double edged sword. Fireblight can be a problem during bloom time.
[/quote]

One of the reasons that I initially asked about ‘Bloodgood’ is that the Pears of New York description of it indicates that it is blight-resistant and I am trying to move to fewer blight-prone varieties. I got propagation material before Corvallis went dark and hopefully will have a report to offer on the tree and fruit traits in a couple years.

1 Like

Vohd,
The pear I was referring to is the small yellow / green pear in this thread Here comes the 2016 apple and Pear harvest!. I bought the pear as an old fashioned Kieffer from the Arbor Day society but it’s definitely not like any Kieffer I have had. It’s a wonderful pear.

1 Like

Has anyone successfully grafted this variety with great success and if so on what root stock?

I bud grafted it onto OHxF 333 rootstock. I did not have the tree in a good location for a year, it then suffered some critter damage, so I cannot claim great success, but the graft took fine and generally seems to be growing normally, all things considered.