Donated Calamondin fruits

We trimmed down our “ultradwarf” Calamondin tree and donated the fruits for ARFUSA conference next week. Some of the Calamondin fruits were as big as Kishu Mandarins. We harvested a total of 9 half bucketfuls of Calamondins. The very ripe ones will be turned into wine.

Our Calamondin was labeled ultradwarf when I got it from Costco 20 years ago. It has now grown 26 ft high and began shading our panels so we cut it back below the roof f line and got so much fruits.

5 Likes

Those look delicious! It’s very kind of you to give such a generous donation!

1 Like

it was probably grafted to seedling rootstock. Incidentally, if you wish to have an ‘ultradwarf’ calamondin, you could air-layer some of your tree’s wayward branches. Air layered citrus will be productive, but will be bushy and unlikely to bolt, especially when grown in full-sun.

conversely, you could try growing from seed since they breed true and make great cold-tolerant rootstock(perhaps second only to trifoliates). Actually prefer them to trifoliates especially when hurriedly grafting citrus to give away as gifts, because if the grafts fail the rootstoc’s fruits would still be useful. Trifoliate fruits are not toxic but hardly palatable.

1 Like

It was grafted to sour orange based on the observations of the suckers that I cut from time to time. I think they mislabeled the rootstock type. It should have been a standard tree.

we actually have opposite circumstances since makes me wish our calamondins were grafted to rootstock which promote vigor . We got our regular calamondin and several peters(variegated) calamondin from california, by way of home depot, but they are all extremely slow-growing.
below is the oldest and biggest 'mondin we have(peters) at a measly ~4 feet tall, and we acquired it at about 2 feet tall five years ago. As the pic shows, we shouldn’t have complaints about production, since they are dense producers, but we’re whining about the bush taking forever to produce additional branches. So even if densely producing, the slow growth won;t be producing buckets… Being cold-tolerant, none of them have died back even with <25F winters, so one could tell the overall growth was painstakingly laggard :neutral_face:

2 Likes