Drippin' Honey Asian Pear

@tonyOmahaz5,
Finally solved the mystery. I think your pears are being grown in the shade. The pears with the smooth skin are in full sun. My few pears in the shade on the inside of the tree are as spotted as yours. i just have a few and they were in so much shade I’m not sure I can photograph them well. I thought about it a long time to figure it out. The pear in the bottom photograph helped me to figure it out its half in the shade and half in the sun. I tried to photograph both sides. You officially have a drippin’ Honey. The fruit is exquisite! It’s the king of the early asian pears and no doubt Korean Giant is the best of the later asian pears! In the photographs i did my best to capture very spotted fruit in the shade.

7 Likes

They are ripening within days of when they ripened last year. I’m picking a shade early so I can store some and because animal activity is higher than normal. I’m getting very few pears this year due to an early freeze.

7 Likes

Any guesses as to what the Guerney’s dwarf pear rootstock is?

1 Like

Ohxf87 maybe. 333 would be very small

2 Likes

my dripping’ honey starts to drop off the tree. Those turned a bit gold are very sweet

10 Likes

They are really good when they are like that. Drippin’ Honey would be grown more if people realized what an excellent pear they are! Congratulations on growing those they look perfect!

2 Likes

Anyone still eating their Drippin’ Honey harvest? They are really good keepers but they taste so good I doubt anyone has any left by now.

Clark,
I think the Drippin’ Honey branch on my combo tree with Chojuro,from Gurneys,may have been infected with fire blight or something and died. It looks dark.Never did fruit.
Any chance I could get some scion?Maybe we could do a trade.I can look for Pear wood at the CRFG Exchange next month.If so,give me a list.
Was any of that Comice productive,that I sent? Brady

I have Comice so they must have done good. Thank you!

1 Like

I can probably get a stick or two of Drippin’ Honey if you want. I grafted it last spring and it really took off but hasn’t fruited yet. Let me know.

• Tom C
2 Likes

I should have good size scion wood from my Drippinhoney to share. You need Korean giant to pollinate it.let me know

3 Likes

Where is the info on patent for DH?

Drippin’ Honey™ As you can see is a trademark name like pink lady apples are the tm name for crisps pink. Something is not adding up on the patent because they continue to show PPAF (Plant Patent Applied For) but do not list a current patent# which they did originally many years ago. I’m not a lawyer but a patent and applying for a patent don’t seem the same from my limited knowledge about patents. Can’t offer advice on something like a plant patent that I know very little about. Gardens Alive is the parent company for many nurseries that sell this pear as you can see at this link Gardens Alive! - Wikipedia! “Gardens Alive! sells primarily through its nationwide catalog network and its online store. The namesake catalog is printed on small, newspaper-like sheets and features “funky DIY photos”. Other gardening catalogs operated include Audubon Workshop, Breck’s, Gurney’s Seed, Henry Field’s, Iseli Nursery, Michigan Bulb, New Holland Bulb, Spring Hill Nurseries, and Weeks Roses, all of which have been acquired from buy-outs of other companies.[1][2]

Gardens Alive! operates fulfillment centers in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, Tipp City, Ohio and Lewisburg, Ohio with a distribution center located in Fairfield, Ohio.[3] Marketing and merchandising offices are located in Ohio, Atlanta, Boston, and Holland, Indiana. Gardens Alive! hosts the print version of Mike McGrath’s “Question of the Week” from the nationally syndicated weekly radio show, “You Bet Your Garden”.[4]

As of 2010, Gardens Alive! had annual sales of approximately $170 million and employed 400–450 people year round, and close to 1,000 at peak seasonal demand. Internet sales accounted for 40 to 45 percent of the business, with catalogs being most of the rest. Gifts and general merchandise accounted for 40 percent of the company’s revenue; the other 60 percent was gardening related.[3] As of 2011, Gardens Alive! was the top seed cataloger in the United States, with $100.6 million of revenue from its seed catalogs compared to $24.8 million for Park Seed Company, the second largest cataloger.[5]”

1 Like

Is there a patent for Mishirashu?

1 Like

It’s not a patented cultivar.

1 Like

Have you concluded that Mishirashu and DH are indeed different varieties?

1 Like

They definately are different. The pears have many similarities.

1 Like

Do you have a preference?

@clarkinks well, you convinced me. I just ordered one to put in my home nursery here since I can’t graft one. So much planting to do this spring, my back will hurt!

1 Like

There is something weird with the patent on this one and they are leaving it in The patent pending category which may or may not m an they have a patent but they do have a trademark. I’m not sure on this one anymore. Think you need to be a lawyer to understand it at this point.

1 Like