Drippin' Honey Asian Pear

Then mine are nijisseiki. I’m fine with it!

2 Likes

Hello All,

I am looking for some scion graft wood for the Drippin Honey as well as Mishirasu and Olympic. I am having a hard time finding sources online.

Does anyone have any here that I can purchase?

Cheers!
Charles

1 Like

Old thread, I know, but do Drippin’ Honey and Korean Giant/Olympic blooms overlap?

1 Like

Yes Joe they do somewhat overlap.

2 Likes

@halcyonzero

Charles we hope you found the scion wood you were looking for. Typically i might have been able to help you but with deaths last year and health problems it was not possible for me to respond to these posts.

The weather has not agreed with these pears this year. I ate some which were not delicious this year but rather only OK so far. They are smaller than normal. Normally this is one of my favorites

10 Likes

All of my asian pears (no matter the variety) are TINY this year! Of course I shouldn’t complain too much given the horrible freeze when the blooms were in full force.

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee how is your Jilin this year? Do you have estimated ripe date of this pear?Mine fruits first time this year. It seems a large size pear. But I can’t determine when it is ripe

1 Like

@clarkinks that drippen honey isn’t yellow. I thought a sign of ripeness was that they turn yellow? Maybe I’ve been thinking wrong.

1 Like

@fullplate

They do turn yellow but not like you think. If they are golden yellow they are soft and not really like an Asian pear anymore. Once they are in this stage the sugar content is normally higher than it is with these. They are also very small this year. Winter was very late here which caused the pears to ripen unevenly.

Interesting here is mine as of today. On pic is toward sun and the other the backside. @clarkinks
image image image

8 Likes

@fullplate

Yes when you pick them up and they break off easy they are ripe forget the color. In addition look for the color of the seeds if they are black they are ripe or nearly ripe. Yours are not quite their yet. When they are ready that pear will break off in your hand when you lift like that.

1 Like

Ok I always thought end of sept early October here but maybe this year mid sept then I’ll keep a closer eye on it thank you

2 Likes

Every place ripens fruit differently. Normally we are very early but this year winter was very late.

I cut it open. We’ve had several days in the 100’s. Taste ok, as crisp as I’d expect but not as juicy as I think it should be

7 Likes

I did not thin my Jilin as well as I could have, so the size might suffer, but it still looks like a larger pear. Mine are nowhere near ripening. I imagine that it’s later ripening, since I’m already starting to harvest mid-season Hosui.

1 Like

@fullplate

Yes the seeds on that one indicate your close but not there yet.

@IL847 A couple Jilin fruit dropped during a storm. The seeds were still white, and flesh had astringency, so mine have awhile to go yet.

These Drippin Honey dropped, but were nicely ripe. They seemed a bit watered down from all the rain we’ve been getting though. These are among the smaller ones on the tree. I could’ve thinned them better this year.

9 Likes

Andrew, thanks for the update. Iwas looking at the Jilin wondering if I can pick them now. They start to change yellowish color. After reading your info, I will let them do whatever they are doing.
These dripping honey look really like, clean no bug spots and nice size. We got rain here too, hopefully it will not rain in next1~2 weeks when I start to pick mine.

3 Likes

I picked a couple of Jilin that turned yellowish. It was a mistake. Their seeds were still light colored. The stem seems very woody and broke off easily when tilted. It isn’t limber like the other Asian pears I grow.

2 Likes