Dwarf Everbearing mulberry - M. nigra?

Resurrecting this discussion again, as the last one I pulled up from a year or so ago seems to have wandered all over the place and I never saw a definitive answer or concensus.

Was at Lowe’s today over the noon hour… they had a bunch of potted mulberries with the label ‘Dwarf Everbearing; Morus nigra’. I’ll admit that I don’t know who the supplier was… though our Lowe’s is selling a bunch of Monrovia stuff this year.
Multiple stems in each pot. No graft union that I can see. Looks like a M.alba to me.

Was there ever a concensus reached as to whether or not these mass-marketed ‘Dwarf Everbearing’ plants are actually M.nigra… or are they just a purple/black-fruited M.alba, and the sellers figure 99.999% of folks won’t have a clue…?

I bought three true M.nigras from Lucille Whitman this spring, 'cause my wife loves them and I’m committed to TRYING to grow them here for her, even though everything I’ve ever read suggests that they won’t like the climate here in Tuckessee.
I’m not inclined to plant a trashy M.alba when I’ve got superior fruiting selections grafted and producing here, but if this is indeed, a M.nigra… 12 bucks isn’t too much to pay to try another one.

No.

“purple/black-fruited M.alba” … or M. rubra.

I bought this one http://www.logees.com/dwarf-mulberry-dwarf-everbearing-morus-nigra.html from Logees and it fruited right in the 4 inch pot. It’s not a Nigra.

Then I bought three from Burnt Ridge http://www.burntridgenursery.com/Mulberry-Trees/products/20/ Noir of Spain, Persian fruiting mulberry, and Balck Beauty. I’m hoping at least one is actually a Nigra.

1 Like

@fruitnut - given your tastes in Balckberries you’ve described elsewhere, I think your going to like M. nigra fruits.

Ha don’t make fun of Steve and myself that are typing impaired. I just wish my Balck Beauty was as big as it was 4 years ago when I planted it.

1 Like

here’s our dwarf everbearing from logees, or ison’s, forgotten which exactly.

the luscious appearance is a bit deceptive, especially after a rain. Berries get dull with extra moisture, and aren’t exactly stellar in water-controlled conditions. It is one of the earliest of mulbs though, so worthy of consideration if you want some berries early. Personally, am getting close to top working with paks and nigras instead.

3 Likes

Yes that’s what mine from Logees looks like. I got about 80 berries from the darn thing 1st yr in a 4 inch pot. It barely tastes like mulberry. I’ll be grafting over next yr as well. Or as soon as I get an evaluation of the other fruits.

1 Like

I agree with your evaluation of the fruit. The silk hope mulberry is orders of magnitude better

1 Like

So I just pulled the trigger and bought this tree from Logees, Maybe I should just consider it an investment in dwarfing root stock?

the one we have isn’t exactly a dwarf, but it does have short internodes. Gerardi’s and nigra’s are slower growing.

Logee’s has a terrible reputation in my experiences. It’s doubtful you have M. nigra … But if you do it’s not rootstock.

Richard already answered the question correctly with a “No”…But this is a serious pet peeve of mine and I cannot stop myself from reinforcing that “No!”. I don’t know where it all started…what nursery or individual first started calling the ‘Dwarf Everbearing’ Morus nigra…but it seems everybody jumped on board. I have microscopically examined leaf cell nuclei from three different ‘Dwarf Everbearing’ (the last one I specifically ordered from Logee’s) and obtained the same results each time: The leaf cell nuclei was of the size (5 to 6 um) of Morus albas and rubras, NOT of the size of Morus nigra (15 to 17 um).
I was on a mission to correct that grievous error, and some of the nurseries I contacted have changed their description from Morus nigra to Morus Sp. (Agristarts, Just Fruits and Exotics), but it appears others (which I won’t trash) just ignored the information I presented to them (I assume because the name “Morus nigra” has a premium attached to it). Now, though, I realize that genetic testing will soon become commonplace, and the problem will resolve on its own accord.

6 Likes

I whacked mine off at the roots today. No time for that Logees trash.

1 Like

Exactly.

@Lucky_P:

I am sure I am not telling you anything you don’t already know, but I asked Dr. A.J. Bullard about mulberries for our area. He responded by saying that Hector Black had a true Morus Nigra that was cold-hardy up to Zone 7. When I followed-up with him, he said it was the “Noire of Spain” (Hidden Springs Nursery).

Might not be at all what you are looking for, but I wanted to pass along the information I had received.

Have a great day.

Russ

1 Like

have never heard of a true nigra doing well in TN, and never heard of a nigra worth just 12$, so quite intrigued!

Exactly.

@jujubemulberry:

If you give it a try, do you mind to let us know how it turns out?

While I am a neophyte to the fruit tree scene, I have gathered enough to learn that Hector Black is very well respected within Fruit Explorer circles, and when I asked his daughter what cultivars they would recommend for my area (7a), she suggested that they only sell material which can thrive under “benign neglect” in their nursery.

Given they are in a very similar climate zone to me, I took that as a good sign.

Russ

True M. nigra does not function in zone 7a. Period. End of story.

“Hector Black” is a well known M. rubra cultivar that is not worth growing.

They might be selling Shangri La, which is a dark fruited alba common in the South.