Encouraging kids to garden without major plant losses due to trampling

My six-year-old loves to try to help me in the garden, but I invariably ending end up raising my voice to him, because he pays zero attention to where he’s walking, no matter how many times I tell him to avoid certain things.

Regardless of any insect or critter, I still lose more plants to the feet of my six-year-old than anything else.

Anyone else understand?

2 Likes

He needs his own garden

If he finds himself trampling his own plants, he’ll learn

5 Likes

That’s a good idea, perhaps a raised bed to help prevent stepping in it.

1 Like

I agree, and to make it more interesting for a child let them pick what to plant even if it seems silly . Last year my grandson and I grew carrots in pots for two months before I transferred them to a little garden. Seemed a little silly to me but I imagine I seem a little silly to my parents even now.

1 Like

Maybe make it a game? The plants are Lava. He can win some prize if he manages to avoid trampling the plants.

1 Like

Could you get him those long rectangular planters or build a few very narrow (1-2 ft) raised bed?

I would think he would be reminded not to trample if the garden is at a different level than his feet. And that can be “his” garden.

Dont have to go to the trouble of a raised bed. A few large pots, a rubber maid tote, etc… for the season. You can let him decorate the pots to make them his. Have fun! Unless you are depending on the food to survive the time spent with him is far more valuable than what produce you grow or inadvertently dont grow.

4 Likes

I agree completely but like BG said it’s very hard to see when your beloved plants get stepped on. I myself have yelled at my kids in the garden more times than I care to admit. I always include them in gardening and my daughter is learning to look around before she step on stuff, she’s 6. My son who is 4 is the nightmare. But I do agree the raised beds are the solution. They never step on anything in raised beds. I have flowers on walkways around raised beds. Those are the victims.
In any event I’m sure they’ll get over the occasional yelling and will only remember the times spent in the garden with you.

1 Like

3 kids…5 7 11… i’ve dealt with this forever…i just take the losses. Remember when they grow up and never come back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are many ways to do things and my method isn’t perfect by no means. I started taking my grandson with me into my orchard (I refer to it as our orchard) when he was about four years old and he is almost seven now. Initially I only took him when I could give 100% of my time to him (same as taking a young kid fishing). We started out holding hands so I could make sure of where he was stepping. I also showed him how to gently touch plants without damaging them. I’m proud to say at his ripe age of 6.5 years old I can let him walk around the small and larger trees now without worrying about those little feet and hands. He loves his new freedom to wonder through the plants and come back and tell me things about them. We often think they aren’t listening but eventually it all sinks in. The quality time with them will not be forgotten when they are older.

2 Likes

I raise my rows, and taught our little guy to only walk in the bottom, never cross. The dimension thing definitely helps them understand the difference (As opposed to green grass that they walk on all the the time).

2 Likes

My dad had two garden plots when I was a kid. Probably 9 or 10 years old. He told me I could use the smaller plot to plant whatever I wanted. Later that summer we had so much popcorn we didn’t know what to do with it all. Lol. Ill never forget that.

3 Likes

Chicken wire.
Always protect what you want to eat. :wink:

1 Like

I would say long narrow raised beds is the way for everyone to enjoy

1 Like

I have put up twine fencing to direct traffic and enforce some keepout zones.

When I was 5, my father had me help build my own vegie garden plot right next to his annual plot, but separated by a short picket fence. It was exciting and of course by the end of summer I was far more careful where I walked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hear you. My 4 and 6-year olds have their own gardens, and they understand the importance of watching their footing, but they still occasionally forget. My 2-year old isn’t exactly careful, but I try to catch and redirect him out of the garden before too much damage is done. I give the occasional sharp correction, point out the paths where they CAN walk, and they all at least try to listen.

Yes, they sometimes stomp on things, they don’t always sow or transplant as precisely as I would, and their watering practices are questionable - But the way I see it, I’d rather take the losses for the sake of giving the kids the opportunity to grow something. They love gardening; it gives them a fun outdoor activity and a sense of accomplishment, and it’s special for me to be able to share something I love with them.

One day, the lettuce won’t get stomped on anymore, and the peppers will all be transplanted gently. And I know I’ll look back on these days longingly, so I’m committed to enjoying them - squashed plants, muddy feet and all. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I let me 4yo help water. Starting with spraying seedlings with a mister, moving on to water transplants in the garden. Endless entertainment !

2 Likes