Espalier: M26 vs bud 9 vs Geneva 222

Gang:

I am contemplating creating a 4 tier horizontal apple espalier similar to that depicted below.

I am trying to decide on the correct rootstock. I was thinking something M26ish in vigor might be about right. The espalier would be about 8 feet wide and 6 feet high. I am wondering if I have the right approximate rootstock vigor correct for this?

Candidates I was considering are:

• M26
  • Bud 9
  • Geneva 222

Anyone have any experience based thoughts on the correct rootstock?

I am planing on grafting a different variety to each arm, so each tree would have 8 varieties on it.

1 Like

I have not worked with the other two rootstocks but, I have a good number of espalier trees trained to a 3 wire, 6’ trellis on M26 spaced 8’ apart. Starting with a 1yr whip, the high vigor verities have filled out the space on the lower couple branches after 3 years in the field.

Bud 9 is a bad choice. Espalier needs that strong root vigor to perform. I am going to try Bud9,G41 and M27as tall spindles. Bud 9 in particular is known to runt out so these will not be headed ever. I bought a espalier from Raintree and its on m106. Like you I wanted to DIY my own and I choose G.202 which is in the same size category as m26 and G222 I think the decision comes down to which has the disease resistance for your area. I have no idea what will do well were I am, which is why I am planting on three stocks.

I asked a similar question a while back and got a lot of helpful advice in this thread:

One word of caution: if I remember correctly, one of the popular suggestions was G935. However, it’s come out that G935 is susceptible to viruses, so if you are planning to multi graft, especially with traded scions, that may not be the best option. See this thread for more details:

Orange Pippin Trees also has a page that gives suggestions about appropriate rootstocks for different forms of espalier.

Hope this is helpful!

Well I have 5 year old trees on M26. They are grown as central leader. I feel like they are not vigorous enough. They do not give a lot of new growth each year. They probably will never fill all the space between trees (15 feet apart). It might be because we are on the dry side of a climate and they do not receive enough water, although I started to irrigate them last year. Production depends on the variety, some varieties are very productive for the small tree. Apples are smaller in size as well. If I redo everything I would choose a little bit more vigorous rootstock.

With most dwarfing rootstocks verses semi-dwarf you need to establish the framework and fruiting spurs BEFORE allowing the tree to fruit. I have a great deal of espalier experience, just not with the particular form I am contemplating now. Once the tree starts to fruit you are always balancing new growth and in particular spur renewal verses fruit development.

2 Likes

Easy fix, plant trees in between existing trees. I plant M9 and M26 at half your distance, like 6x10 to 8x12 or even closer. They can be easily kept that small. My 12 yr old trees are about 9ft tall and 9ft diameter with very little pruning.

Fluffy Bunny,
I am starting the use of G222 on my regular trees because I have had graft failures with G202. As long as G935 is supported, it has very flat, 90 degree, crotch angles and is very precocious. G41 may not be vigorous enough, it’s a good rootstock, but is small.
The feathered one, Chikn.

1 Like

Thank you, @fruitnut . I have ordered G222 and I am planning to graft them and to plant between existing trees

That is about the size I’m trying to fill with my espaliers. It definitely depends on the scion and the growing conditions, not just the rootstock. For instance, in my little stretch I have a Sweet Sixteen (mostly) on G.30 which is probably a little too big. Maybe it will settle down once it starts bearing, but right now it wants to make too much wood. I have a Tydeman’s Late Orange on the same rootstock which won’t seem to grow much; seems to have run out of steam at the second rung up. Could be growing conditions in one side of my yard vs. the other though; everything grows worse on that side.

I have Roxbury Russet and Goldrush on G.11/M.111 interstem and the size of those is about perfect, on the good side of the yard.

I think for the space you described B9 is too small. I’ve got one tree on G.222 and one on G.935 but they are still too young to tell whether they will be the right size or not. Erring on the somewhat too big side is probably better than on the too small side.

I am growing some apples on Geneva 222 and the growth is the slowest among all of the rootstocks I am currently using (M26, Bud 118, Geneva 222). I am really pleased with Bud 118’s vigor. I hope I can keep the trees in check by pruning.

1 Like