Fall rains started early

We’re getting a little of this morning

I’m at almost 5 inches total for the last 48hrs…it rained most of yesterday, all night and its raining this morning…

1 Like

Gack!

One spot around NE Iowa had 9 inches

Flooding is occurring in some places but we are very safe since we are in an elevated location. We are getting another 3-4 " of rain tonight! The danger for us comes while traveling to work. I love the rain so much when it comes even if it floods it’s like a celebration. For me it means my small trees will live and my larger trees grow more roots and store more nutrients before winter. All Life here depends on this water. Temperatures won’t exceed high 70s all week.

1 Like

We are as dry as I’ve ever seen it here in S. NY in late Sept. which by most standards is not exceptionally dry, but I’m getting concerned about my well and being able to do my fall digging. I suppose the trees could be stressed by it, but they have had plenty of time to store the necessary energy to get through winter. Maybe they will all get a little drink tomorrow eve. if the forecast pans out.

This will be a drab fall as leaves are falling off forest trees prematurely and pure brown. Right by the ocean they’ve gotten rain we haven’t just 30 miles inland.

Hope it rains for you tomorrow Alan. Glad to hear your trees are in good shape.

Hope our Iowegians, @Chikn and @Levers101 haven’t floated away. That’s some insane rain y’all have been getting, and more in the forecast for the next couple days.

We have have had a very dry and hot September, the leaves have been falling in droves, prob because of the heat and lack of rain. Just brown crispy leaves like @alan has mentioned. Kind of reminds me of a Texas “fall”.

We didn’t get nearly as much rain as up north. We got 2.5" Thursday night into Friday morning, but had a stretch of about 2 weeks where we were dry. So we could take it more, but northern Iowa and southern Minnesota have been getting a lot more rain over those past 2 weeks. Then some places in the Cedar River watershed got 12" in less than 24 hours.

I’m not sure if @Sean2280 is in area that will flood in Cedar Rapids or not. I hope not. All my wife’s family is out of the flood zone in Cedar Rapids too.

The river is above 12 feet here which is really high…the record is like 17.5 or something back in the 60s… i saw some trees floating down the river yesterday…the flow (current) is crazy fast right now.

Ended up with just a few sprinkles yesterday…the dew point was 68F yesterday morning and plummeted all day. I was COLD this morning…had to shut up all the windows (52F)… Today is that first FALL day…it just feels fall. The wind is blowing hard, its chilly…

3 Likes