Father's Day junior fruit tasting

Had a wonderful time last evening with my boys tasting many different fruits that are ripe now in the orchard. Thought I’d share some photos and the boys tasting evaluations. These are the fruits they ate yesterday.

. The boys ate all of this fruit and here’s what they liked best. Flavor supreme at 23 brix was most liked, followed by arctic star. Dessert delight, arctic glo, viollette de bourdeaux,and necta zee were next, followed by weeping Santa Rosa,sweet crisp and Nadia. The pink lemonade, burgundy, and dapple supreme were least liked, but the ds was not fully ripe so we will try it in a future tasting. What a great Father’s Day even though My wife’s out town. Here’s a few pics of the boys tasting/ eating the fruit!. I think they even got a sugar high, haha.

24 Likes

Great photos of the kids. Keep those, you’ll enjoy seeing them in about 15 years.

2 Likes

Nadia was a third tier fruit, hmm.

I had family in a few yrs ago when Flavor Supreme was at it’s peak. They rated it near all time best. I was glad they said near. That shows some objectivity.

2 Likes

This was more fun than formal. If I had more time I could of got better opinions as well as brix readings. I should have cut the fruit up and had them try a bite of each fruit rather than them eating whole fruits and filling up. What I do know is they fully enjoyed all the fruit mentioned in tiers. I would not call nadia 3rd tier fruit as most of the above fruit is excellent, nothing bad was tried. Years ago I had many more varieties but they have been topworked to only good fruit that my family enjoys. In the future I will be better with tastings.

1 Like

. I think he likes Nadia! 19.5 brix. Only tested Nadia and FS

3 Likes

Precious!

3 Likes

That’s great…did you have to hose them off when they were done??

2 Likes

So jealous! I’ve had rhubarb so far and my Haskasp’s are turning purple. That is it for me so far…

2 Likes

You bet they should have, I just used baby wipes, a lot of them. Thinking we should by stock in the brand we use as they go fast this time of year! We also have a pool that comes in handy.

1 Like

How long have you had Santa Rosa? Is that one really a lot like the plum variety found at average grocery stores, how does it vary from the ones at the store. What is weeping Santa Rosa? Is it just Santa Rosa that has a weeping nature? Me I prefer plums like the ones I grew up with.

2 Likes

Really not trying to make anyone jealous, just sharing the kids fun. As a fishing guide I get to watch people catch fish all day. It used to bother me a bit at first but now I just try and live the moments through my clients. When I do get to fish for myself, which is not that often, I enjoy it even more than when I used to fish everyday before I was a guide!

1 Like

Alan, Santa Rosa is one of the most popular plums, maybe most popular in California. The taste is very much like a sweet/tart flavor king Pluot with a tart skin. I would bet this is the plum used to cross flavor king and is my favorite plum. The weeping version is just slightly sweeter. Both are excellent plums, if you don’t like tart skin try flavor king pluot, definitely in my top 3 fruits of the season. At our place we call Santa Rosa early flavor king with a tart skin. It’s not as big or sweet as flavor king but a great plum in the early season and flavor is intense. This is Santa Rosa plum, umm, sorry had to grab a bite. I’m bad with good fruit!

3 Likes

Actually, according to the Flavor King patent, its plum heritage includes Mariposa and Red Beaut (twice). Mariposa is a Satsuma type plum and Red Beaut is an offspring of El Dorado and Burmosa. With various open pollinations involved, Santa Rosa could be a contributor, but it’s not on the official list of Flavor King’s ancestors.

2 Likes

I would have sworn santa rosa for flavor, Just has same flavor as flavor king just not as sweet. Thanks for the patent info. I would have thought flavor supreme would have the mariposa parentage!

1 Like

Both parents of Flavor Supreme are seedlings of open pollinated Red Beaut. With so much open pollination used, there could be a bunch of various contributions. The red flesh of Flavor Supreme indicates that Satsuma or Mariposa might be involved.

2 Likes

Tongue in cheek. Just makes me wonder sometime what I am doing in this climate!

Congrats on the great fruit you have grown and sharing with the kids.

My kids taste test this weekend was a stalk of rhubarb and a plate of sugar to dip it in between bites. I think they would have enjoyed yours more :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks Hungryfrozencanuck, glad you are harvesting something! My grandma used to make delicious rhubarb pies. I can only imagine how tough fruit growing is in 4b. Good luck with your harvests this year!

1 Like