Favorite early/super early tomato variety?

I’ve never been than interested in growing early tomatoes before as I was always content to wait until my tasty favorites like Cherokee Purple, Brandwine, etc. ripened. But I have two little kids who love tomatoes and suddenly the idea of having tomatoes by late June sounds good. I’m considering “42 days” tomato since it is available from several sources. But I would love to hear other suggestions for early AND good tasting tomatoes!! I’m in zone 6b, VA.

I haven’t grown many of the super early tomatoes, but I do grow Glacier and have had success with it. It tastes fine (mild – sweet with a little bit of acid), grows pretty well, and is fairly productive. It’s not a great tasting tomato but it carries me through until better tomatoes start producing.

I have grown these a few times… only once have they be ready around July 4th.

Early Girl and Sungold are early, productive and tasty. They have done very well for me.

1 Like

My favorite early tomatoes are Morasky Div and Sungold.
Both grow fast even in cool weather and are very productive.

Kids will love Sungold tomatoes which are very sweet if they are picked when they completely turn orange.

Morasky Div seems to be a few days earlier than Sungold.

1 Like

I second Forth of July. They not only early(if you start them early enough), but also very productive, taste is good, and they produce till first frost. It is my “working horse” tomatoes :grinning:.Only one downside (for some people, not for me) is their small size.(Golf ball or a little bigger), but is can be an advantage as well, as it perfect tomato to cut in personal size salad and to pickle whole, red or green.
Next one on my list is Jetsetter. This one is a little later then Forth of July, but it is a large tomato. Unfortunately, I can’t find the seeds anymore on reputable seed-selling websites like “Tomato Growers”, but seeds from less known sources seems to work too.

1 Like

Early Cascade has been a favorite of mine for years. Early, “salad” (2") size, healthy until frozen out, continuously productive indeterminate that is not as good as a Brandywine but still dern good. As summer grinds down the fruit get smaller and smaller until the last few are likely to be golf ball or cherry insize.

Thanks for the recommendations so far! I’m not worried about size (my kids think cherry sized tomatoes are candy!!) but flavor does matter.

Early Girl was a favorite when I grew it in California, but when I grow it in Wisconsin, it is rather mediocre. You may need to experiment with your local conditions.

1 Like

Stupice is early and taste really good for such a early variety. Smaller fruit than I like but worth growing.

I had forgotten Stupice- also Oregon Spring. Both worth your attention.

I’ve grown 4th of July for many years, and the size is variable - sometimes the fruits can be small slicing size. Very reliable producer.

This year, I’m giving New Girl a try - supposed to be an improvement on Early Girl

For kids nothing is better than cherry tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes in general are earlier than the regular ones. There are so many varieties of different colors. Many people like sungold, yellow pear, they are sweeter. I really liked black cherry it is more substantial and tangy, quite good for whole freezing and canning. It was the earliest to come and the last to go.

1 Like

Green Grape and Snow White are also very good eating. Not sure how early they are though.

Most Russian varieties are earlier ripening.

Has everyone received their free ‘Seeds from Italy’ catalogue, great new tomatoes and many other seeds!

1 Like

Early Girl does need improvement. It wasn’t early or tasty in my area. I don’t recommend that one.
Sungold did very well for me even in part shade.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the recommendations. I was going to get Sungold, but then realized I already have seeds of Sun Sugar which is said to be almost identical in taste but less prone to cracking. It is estimated to be 5 days later but I think I can handle that. I’ll see how it does! I have three wall-o-water type season extenders so I will choose three plants to put in them extra early.

I may give “42 days” a try too since I have a gift certificate to one of the places that carries it (Jung seed). If I do I will report how it does!

I’m growing Stupice right now…just sprouted…

1 Like

I grew sunsuger last year for first time. Super good here, very firm and tasty, almost a little crunch. The downside is plant grew only half size and half production of sungold. I will be planting both this year! The sunsugar cracks less and is sweeter than sungold.

1 Like

I grew both Sugar Sun and Sun Gold last year. Our favorites. I didn’t keep track of which were which, and didn’t notice a difference in them. The animals didn’t bother them like they did the red tomatoes. Hardly got any red tomatoes last summer.