Favorite soil amendments?

Always trying to figure out the best way to keep my farm boxes fertile. Do any of you use liquid mycorhizae or Azomite? If so what do you think? Also what other soil amendments do people here like to use in there gardens or trees. Can’t wait to hear. Thank you!

Drew

1 Like

I use mushroom compost and worm castings in the spring. I also add a lot of chopped leaves in the fall. I have no complains about the garden.

1 Like

Do tyou buy wc or make your own? Thank you!

I buy it. Unco Industries Wiggle Worm casting is the name of it. I have a smallish garden so a 30lbs bag is all I use for a season.

1 Like

I make my own compost from strait horse manure and use shredded leaves for mulch, so they get into the soil each year also.

3 Likes

Worm castings is what I have been adding for the last two years around my fruit trees.

1 Like

I do the same and also have cow manure too. I get the manure by the car hauler full. It looks a bit funny, and smells. The cow manure was sloppy. I was laughing at two little girls when I was at a red light in town they were plugging their noses while standing on the sidewalk. I vacuum my leaves in the fall and dump them over a hill in the back. After a couple years they turn into great leaf mold.

1 Like

if you just include amending (without weed suppression or mulch) after trying just about everything, I prefer buried logs. The simplicity and long term fertility improvements are quite obvious. And they work just as well for fruit trees or vegetables. And you can pull carrots and turnips out of beds with logs, without a problem.

1 Like

@wildscaper
It’s been a few years but I think this thread is worth reading through http://www.growingfruit.org/t/soil-secrets/203/10

2 Likes

We know a lady who has two horses and a lot of fresh manure. She doesn’t use bedding, so manure is strait and she bags it in empty horse feed or pellets bags. So we come on Toyota Prius with back seats and trunk covered with tarp and load about 30-35 bags in it. The lady tells stories about us to people she knows, I believe our nickname is "crazy Russians who takes shit by the Prius " :grinning:

11 Likes

Each spring I put a few shovelfuls of compost around fruit trees and berries. Then we cover with woodchips. I add fish and kelp fertilizer for spring applications of need. We live in a subdivision in Indiana, that was probably used to grow beans and corn. Not much topsoil with heavy clay. I think these amendments have helped! Interesting to hear people’s spring routines,good thread.

I read your post to my wife and she thought it was so good she’s sharing it with her online friends elsewhere.

2 Likes

Yeah, now everybody will know our nickname :grin::grin::grin:!

5 Likes

Oh yeah! Thank you. I’ll read on.

1 Like

I like to use azomite in containers that don’t actually contain dirt. I figure plants in dirt don’t need it.

1 Like

That is one I am very intersted in. Do you water it in? What are your thoughts on how it is helping? Yes my set ups are basically glorified pots.

I mix Azomite in when potting plants. It’s rock dust, which is usually easily found in dirt, but is absent from potting mixes. Is it helping? I honestly don’t know. But it doesn’t hurt anywhere but the pocketbook.

2 Likes

Hahahaha! Nice one. Yes it is nice to get to play on the companies dime on this one! Thank you.

Drew

response to worm castings:

serrano seedlings don’t like them. they looked ok until they hit about four inches in height, then they dehydrated and died. more established serrano plants don’t seem to mind the castings.

datil seedlings grew slowly in soil amended with worm castings. and their leaves looked seriously wrinkled; based on online pictures, it seems they’re supposed to look a bit wrinkled, but not this wrinkled. next batch of seedlings isn’t going to get any castings until they grow large and are in production mode.

cascade gold raspberry plants, no matter how small they are, laugh at fertilizer. they seem to want to grow whatever the soil conditions. they apparently have never heard of fertilizer burn.

I want to revive this topic with following question. Did anybody try Bio-Fiber™ Organic Soil Conditioner by Beyond Peat™? They clime it to be produced from horticultural and agricultural residuals. They do not provide any more information on the ingredients. They also say that because it is made of residuals it contains live beneficial bacteria.(is it just compost they are selling?) I would understand if they say - we add bacteria.But if it is naturally occurred bacteria, it means what ever technology they use it doesn’t sterilize the ingredients, so there could be harmful bacteria and fungi as well. They also do not specify PH of their product, at least I can’t find this info.
My soil lacks organic matter, but it is pretty acid to add peat moss. without adding adequate amount of lime and I added already too much compost this year. So I was searching for alternatives…