Fig tree in ground, in Qc, zone 4b-5a

First, for those of you who don’t know, I speak french first, so… please forgive me if I make mistakes.

Now… I had read before that some people were able to grow figs in ground in zone 5… So I decided to try it myself and guess what? It is possible. My tree survived his first winter. Is it in good condition? Absolutely not. It died to the ground… but… sprouts are coming from the base of the trunk! Let’s see If it can grow back and start producing fruits!

4 Likes

Here is a picture of my other fig, which spent our long winter inside! Lost 2 leaves to the mama squirrel who lives in my big maple tree :slight_smile:

1 Like

You will not get good results if you let the tops die each winter. There are some quite big figs in my town where the temps most winters fell to -15C. But some colder winters they does not survive and have to start at the ground level. In your zone you better take a bit more care to preserve the tops. The easiest way is each autumn to bend the stems and burry them under ground. That way you will not start from zero each spring. You can do that for 1-3 years with each stem until it gets too thick to easily bend. If you have warm and long enough (for your varieties) summers you should be able to get some ripe figs.

Interesting! Won’t they break when I bend them?

1-2 year old stems are flexible enough. Grow the figs as a shrub with multiple stems/suckers.

1 Like

Is Florea ~Michurinska 10 available in Canada? It should be.

Congratulations on the zone 5 fig. What variety is it?

Thank you very much for the tips.

I have no idea, are you asking because Florea and Michurinska (not sure if they are the same) is/are especially hardy?

Unknown. It came from PC (President’s Choice) Garden Center and was id as “Hardy fig”…lol… My guess is it’s Brown Turkey. The one in the pot is from Pépinière Casse-Noisette. The owner/seller offered different varieties, so I asked him to surprise me. Well… he sure did. He sent me a fig id as “figuier”. Lol! Anyway, as long as I get figs… I’ll be super happy. It’s not like I can get a lot a different varieties around here. I litterally know no one growing them.

Some figs, like Chicago hardy, die back too root and grow back each year, if the summer is hot you will still get some fruits.

1 Like

That’d be great… It might be that too, actually (Chicago Hardy)…But I don’t know.

Florea seems to be very hardy, no fig will survive above ground in zone 5 without protection though, what makes it special is it is one of the very earliest to ripen. The other type to try would be what are called Mount Etna types : Hardy Chicago, Marseilles Black VS, Gino’s Black, Black Bethlehem… They are a little bit later ripening, but handle ripening in rain and cool weather better. They have a distinctive fuzzy leaf, your’s is not one :sob:

You could have a Brown Turkey, which will make an early crop but the main crop will be late and have trouble ripening in cool fall weather.

Hoosier,
This is my Chicago Hardy. I don’t see much fuzziness on leaves.

1 Like

Wow… So much you can tell by pictures! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Beautiful picture … was this picture taken recently?

It shows as dullness, the feel is described as “sandpapery”. I just mean fuzzy as a high density of trichomes, even the figs and twigs are fuzzy. Nice tree.

1 Like

I just came from checking on my potted fig tree leaves and they do feel a bit fuzzy. I have no experience with figs in general and I have no idea if they are all like that or if mine are especially fuzzy…

Last year. It was my oldest fig tree (3yrs old). It was in pot and produced a lot of sweet figs, on a smaller size.

I am able to grow two cuttings recently so I put this older one in the ground last weekend. It is in the best place possible, next to the foundation facing southwest. I plan to winter protect it. Our zone 6 a can be as cold as zone 5, at times.

2 Likes

Thanks for the education. I, too, am new to fig. I have only 6 varieties and CH is my eldest. :smile: A lot to learn. Appreciate your input.