I was despairing of my VdB producing any figs this year as we are starting to get later in the season. I purchased it Feb 2016, so I wasn't too worried. But the other day, I saw figs! I probably have a dozen or so very small figs.
I also decided to try my hand at air layering. Here's the results of my first attempt, I used a Chinese take-out soup container, seemed to work very nicely.
And all potted up. I didn't remove any leaves and the newly potted tree dehydrated quite a bit. I eventually removed the dying leaves, plus a few others. It's doing nicely now.
And two more airlayers that I just started. One is an unwanted sucker. The higher one is one of four main branches coming up (you can see them in the picture - the 4th one here is a bamboo stick), it's actually the original trunk, but it's growth has been massively overtaken by the other 3 branches. Three of these are growing pretty closely together, so one has to go.