Figs, figs, everywhere!

Yes, I waited till spring to do yours. I had a few other rounds going in the winter. I added a lot this year. Which is kinda crazy! I know a few of yours rooted at least. They are outside in small pots at the moment.
Sorry about not getting you CC cuttings this year. You are first in line for cuttings. I stopped trading it and letting it grow. Plenty wood now for cuttings this winter. I still owe a couple to people. Hopefully the air layer I put on will take and I can move on. I will root another this winter and should be square. I have lot’s of new fig trees going this year. Nothing that rare, mostly grower favorites Like Mario in KY favorite fig is salce, added that. Louisiana Green Honey, Nerucciolo D’Elba, Izbat an Naj, Figo Rei, a favorite from Portugal, it’s a great grower! In Spanish “De Rey” has the meaning “a Fig for a King” I guess the Portuguese fig is grown in Spain too.
http://figs4funforum.arghchive.com/post/de-rey-or-rei-7752408

Lot’s of other interesting figs too have been added. Where I will put them this winter is a good question??

1 Like

Me too. I will have to stack them up one on top of each other.

1 Like

You mentioned me adding a honey type and an Adriatic type. Any favorite varieties I should be on the look out for? Not a lot available locally but I’ll scout the internet in search of fuel for my latest obsession. :slight_smile:

For an Adriatic type, being in 5b Strawberry Verte would probably be the best choice as it fruits earlier for this late fruiting type. Others I don’t know about could be good too. I’m still looking for a good honey type myself. Most I don’t like. Some taste like caramel to me. Creamy too, I like those. I guess it’s a honey type? Also some need a few years to produce good figs. So give them time. Others know more than me.

Oops. I forgot to update my area. I now live in Santa Barbara, CA in zone 10a-10b

Now that you mention that I remember. Ok I would look at others. Many awesome Adriatic types. Some figs don’t like it super hot. So you have you figure what works best. I’m out of town. I will comment more when I’m back.

Smith fig has a flavor similar to the Adriatic types, not exactly the same. It ripens before Strawberry Verte, for another option. I can’t say how it does in CA though. With the length of your growing season, probably any of the Adriatics would do well, and local growers can tell you what does best.

Funny I was thinking of Smith too! And maybe the CdD green figs. Another group one should try, any of the CdD figs. Many obscure lesser known Adriatic types are out there too. Like Greek Isles and Brooklyn white etc. I have jh Adriatic, B. Green and Strawberry Verte, Smith too. I know I have more I’m trialing. I can’t think of them? Not home yet so can’t check my list. I’m happy with SV and B. Green. I will not be testing anymore

Lattarula fig in Seattle . ( Italian Honey fig ?)

6 Likes

That’s great to hear. I’m actually bidding on a Smith fig right now. I’ll make sure to win. :joy: and I have CdD types on my list of must haves. Just need to find some now

1 Like

Vicent,

The best way to a harvest a ripen fig is to let it droop a bit to get the full sweetness.

2 Likes

This is the first one on small tree still in container Tony. I tried to taste it before squirrels.

I picked it a bit early but it taste great. I like it more than Derert King Fig , the popular one in Seattle areas.

2 Likes

I was going to put one up for auction (Smith), if you don’t win, make me an offer. I did also offer it up on Our Figs in trade for Noire de Barbentane Along with others, no takers, so it’s open right now.,

Right now besides NdB I’m looking for Izmir, De Tres Esplets, Littman Black Cross, Black Tuscan, and planera figs. I know all of these are rare and valuable, thought I would ask anyway. Will trade 2 plants for any of these. Currently I have extras of
Antonelli Unk (mt. Etna type) - Dan Foster
Blava - Dan Foster
D’en Manel - Dan Foster
Genovese Nero AF - Zone5figger AND zuny (I have 2 of them)
Nerucciolo D’Elba - Rafaelissimmo
Smith - Zone5figger
Takoma Violet - Don Sanders
Preto de Torres Novas - (very small right now) Jsacadura
Fort Mill Park - figlandscaper

I have a few more I will add to the list tomorrow once I perform inventory! I have about 30 rooted cuttings going. Most will be sold on EBay if no takers for trades.

Didn’t the Barbentane cuttings I sent take?

I saw some Bamboos in the back ground. Are you going to put them in ground? I planted 2 bushes this Spring in ground. I will mulch them well in the Fall to protect them from the -19F temp during Winter months.

Tony

2 Likes

No, Boy I had bad luck. I tried to root a couple in winter and they failed. So I stored the rest till spring. In spring they all got moldy on me. They were so bad, the bark just slid off. It was my fault I didn’t prep them well, actually i did, but others in with them went bad, and like one bad apple, it spoiled the bag. It irks me too, as the spring cuttings I did have, almost every one rooted. I’m doing this from now on with at least 1/2 or more of my cuttings. Outside rooting worked for me. I got a great spot on the north side of my house. Even non tropical mulberries rooted for me.
I swear NdB is jinxed in this house! Again my fault I got lazy and didn’t sterilize the last cuttings I put in with them. That will never happen again. Well third time is a charm, I may ask for another favor next fall/winter! What happened is one guy that is well known send me about 4 cultivars, and they were really bad, but looked fine when i got them. Out of 20 or so cuttings one rooted, but most never even made it to trying as they molded so bad. Nobody from this forum, from Ourfigs, a regular. Well never again, tell you that!

@tonyOmahaz5 sent me some too. I had them in a different bag, and saved till spring, and just wanted to say i think every cultivar rooted at least one. Maybe one failed, but overall a good take rate. Thanks for those cuttings!

2 Likes

I have a lot of different varieties of bamboo and
will inground some Clumppings type in the new place next Fall. Tony
The one in picture is big nod bamboo. Its runner.

2 Likes

Norella

Large Negronne

3 Likes

Wow Jesse, your potted figs are huge. Any in ground. What was your lowest temp there?

Lowest temp= -26F (outside), in the basement…48F, that’s where most of mine spend the winter.

Here’s one of my in ground plants that survived outside, and hopefully will ripen some fruit this season. .Marsailles Black VS

5 Likes