Figs have no flavor

Thanks for the suggestions. If I find the Native Black I will let you know. If my neighbor will help me grafting I may try to take you up on your offer.

You could also root the cuttings. I would do both. The graft to get a taste of the fig and see if you think it’s worth it. VDB tends to like the bush form, at ;least mine, it does not want to grow erect, and is small dwarf like. The figs turn an electric violet to purple. Stunning! Black when ripe and are very good if left to hang. Also figs tend to ripen all at once, well most do with a few early and a few late. I have a very short season and in a container it ripens all figs. Very few do, I have tons of figs I remove at the end of the year. It is one that seems to work all over. Another like that is Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley. I love this fig, top 5 for sure. Works well everywhere. Has a berry flavor, stronger than most others including Mt Etna’s and is better if you ask me. I had a lot of requests for this one and have no more wood for this season. Speaking of rooting, Smith seems to root easy, at least for me. I tried one cutting wrapped in parafilm, applied bottom heat with heating mat.
It rooted quickly

3 Likes