Finally a Nadia fruit report!

The pit was small for the size of the fruit. I’d say clingstone. But I failed to determine if it was flat like a plum or round like a cherry. I’ll do a better job on that with the next fruit.

1 Like

Should we plant more Nadia now or wait until more report? Do you have any more or only one Nadia fruit for this year Steve?

He has more fruit. The cherry looks great too! And yeah the color is fantastic!

2 Likes

You could plant more trees, if you wish. Then in the near future, when you taste the fruit and if you dont like it, you could graft another variety onto it.

2 Likes

Here is a thought, so Nadia is 50/50 Sweet cherry/Plum and is good at 24 BRIX. Now we can take a step further to have it at 75% Sweet cherry/ 25% Plum by bagging the Nadia flowers and cross them with the excellent sweet cherries like Selah, Sandra Rose, or Van and grow the Nadia pits. Anyone in?

Tony

5 Likes

If black pearl can polinize it, I’m in!

Fruit looks great, Steve. Congrats!

If someone can get it to except sweet cherry pollen, then yeah…it could be a monster…although you would want it to keep its size and not shrink back cherry size…at least i would.

Plant more trees? Please not on my account. There are plenty of pluots and sweet cherries way better than the fruit I tasted yesterday. The 30 brix Bings I had several weeks ago were way better. Flavor Supreme is way better and it’s about to ripen. I’d be surprised if Nadia ends up better eating than either.

3 Likes

Cherry is very big and tall tree ,and most of pluots is not working well in maritime climate areas. but it’s ok
we keep room for waiting Sugar Stwist Pluerry coming soon. Thank you very much for your suggestion Steve.

It’s a very good report about Nadia , thank you so much Fruitnut. Now we are waiting more and more report in a different climate areas in the country in coming months , especially from Itheweatherman . His Nadia may gets to 30 Brix I hope .

How did Nadia taste compare to the pluerries? I know you may need more tastings to make an evaluation but I have been wondering if these Nadias and the pluerries would end up being about the same thing.

It’s too early to say but at least Nadia is bigger than Sweet Treat. I’m not a Sweet Treat fan, it’s a very small ordinary plum.

1 Like

I wish I knew that back in march when I bought it. I don’t think I’ll be spending anymore money on trees till I get several opinions on them.

Well we all have bought trees that didn’t work out. I have 2 right now I really don’t care for. OK, just not great. I’m trying to graft other varieties on them, if I fail, I’ll probably leave them until I decide if I’m moving or not.

The weatherman must like them. He suggested them for a pluery so that gives me some hope.

1 Like

I wasn’t the only one who tasted Sweet Treat Pluerries from my tree, my neighbors, parents, my brother, sister, co-workers, and uncles also tasted sweet treat, and they loved it.

3 Likes

Nadia took more than 10 years to come out to the market for us .The first tasting showed 24 brix, I’m very happy to have Nadia in my orchard and wait for its fruiting next year.

I agree Vincent, 24 is a very good number. And taste was decent, and it was a flawed not totally ripe fruit. I think the taste issue is over, it’s good! Now the question is about pollination, chill hours, growth habit etc.

1 Like

I should have said this thing was a piece of xxxx. But even that won’t have stopped the hype. Sweetcrisp blueberry was also 24 brix and that didn’t even draw one comment. IMO the Sweetcrisp was a lot more impressive.

2 Likes

Well all know Sweetcrisp, Flavor King and Supreme are awesome. My problems is all three probably should not be grown here (I have all three anyway- 4 years never a fruit on Supreme). Nadia on the other hand can do well here. It’s not of that grade, but it’s interesting at least. Good enough for me not to rip it out right now. If you would have said it was a hit with an S, I can see trees being pulled across the country.

1 Like