Finally a Nadia fruit report!

Only four ripened in my yard. They were picked fairly firm, before they become too mushy to eat. If chilled, it has a nice crunch like a sweet cherry. It has complex tangy taste with some added cherry to it. 3-1/2 of them were blended then frozen to make a fruit pack, a preservation experiment.

About 1/3 of the packet was put into a small cup and mashed into a slushy. Good flavor, very tangy.

The rest was cooked with some sugar to make a small amount of jam. The taste is very good to excellent, almost red candied apple like, the candied part.

This unique fruit is very much worth keeping. It is a shy pollinator, not very productive. I will help it along next season with hand pollination.

10 Likes

Thanks for the report. I got really good set this year on the more mature parts of the tree, my impression is it takes a few years to get mature wood and then it will set well. Bending to horizontal also helps make more mature wood. Many plums and cherries have set much worse for me.

3 Likes

Went to check my Nadia. It looked good. I lifted and pulled it but it did not budge. I assumed it was not ready so I let it be. Maybe, a couple more days.

2 Likes

Don’t pick them too early because they are more plum tasting than cherry plus too much acids. I also used a squeeze test to see if they give some.

Tony

I don’t do squeeze test anymore. Last year I squeeze tested my Easternglo nectarines. By the time they were ripe for picking. They had bruise marks from my squeezing. My “gentle” squeezes were not that gentle after all. :blush:

2 Likes

Stop eating too much spinach!!!

2 Likes

Yes, sir.

Olive Oyl

2 Likes

My first Nadia, skin was very astringent, probably needs a little more ripening.
I love plums in general, this is a keeper for me, flesh is a dark red with very sweet juicy flavor.

12 Likes

certainly is beautiful!

Now I want One.

2 Likes

My first Nadia fell on the ground yesterday. I cut it up today. It was soft, probably very ripe. Unfortunately, several days of rain made the fruit to be very watery. I could not detect much of anything. Brix was 14.

Size- wise, it was a very large cherry but a small plum. I put it next to a medium size Beauty plum here. Beauty had brix between 8-10. Frequent and heavy rain has diluted fruit ripened at this time in my orchard.

5 Likes

I wish We had the rain you had!

Rain is good for my brown lawn and trees in general. Every tree has perked up. It is the fruit that get negative effects…

If we split the amount of rainI have had, it would have made central MA and Newport people both happy.

1 Like

There were two fruit left on my tree,still there because they felt hard.Today,one gave a little when squeezed and so I picked it.
The flavor was very good and the flesh had multi parts of amber and red. Brady

3 Likes

I had some premature nectarines fall off and I tried one anyway and usually at this point they are bitter and very tart. I would say the fruit needed three more weeks and it was very sweet. If the rain holds off, I’m going to have amazing stone fruit this year. I’m probably going to harvest my Nadia today. Going out of town for 2 weeks. Am out of town now! Coming back to water.

2 Likes

Picked another Nadia today. This one was underripe. The shape was just like a cherry, a giant cherry. I put it next to a golf ball. It was almost as big.

Taste is sweet and sour ( not quite ripe). Brix was 14. I detected a hint if cherry in it. The area around the seed was definitely sour. The texture was firm like a Bing cherry. The flesh to seed ratio was good, lot of meat with a small seed.

I suspect that it will not be this firm once it is fully ripe. Had it have this firm texture and sweeter, it would be one of the best cherries.

6 Likes

Picked my last batch of Nadia before squirrels took them all ( they broke my bread bags and stole Nadia from the whole branch !!!

Even with so much rain, 2 of the last 5 fruit had brix at 17 and 19. In a dry year, it could definitely get sweeter. We could detect some cherry flavor but the texture was not as firm as Bing when fully ripe (but not mushy, either.). The fruit turned dark color when ripe, as dark or almost as dark as Bing.

12 Likes

Found these two very last Nadia this morning. They are bigger than any of my plums. The pic showed the size of Satsuma plum, Nadia and Bing cherry.

Ate one. Brix was 19.5. Even Hubby said he liked it and could tasted cherry in it.

8 Likes

Nadia is a keeper but hopefully it will set more fruits for me as it aged.

1 Like

My Nadia was the first plum to start turning color, in July, but took so long to reach ripeness that Shiro beat it by a few days. Most of my Nadia ripened with Santa Rosa. I assume the lack of sun in the last 2 weeks of July had something to do with it.

Soft, overripe Nadia taste like a typical red plum to me, but firm Nadia has the acidity that gives it a cherry-like flavor. Of course, I thought Nadia tasted like it had little Santa Rosa in it when comparing the two. I guess it is all subjective.