First pawpaws of the year

Mango pawpaws are starting to ripen

11 Likes

Yummm. Can’t wait until Fall to eat the wild ones. Grafted pawpaws are years away from bearing.

Dax

2 Likes

Mark,

I like Mango pawpaw a lot. It is a little more juicier than Shenandoah or Susquehanna.

Tony

3 Likes

I lost all my Susquehanna to a late freeze so I will have to wait until next year to compare. My Mango flowered late and produced a few fruit along with Wabash. This will be my first time trying Wabash. I also have a few fruit on a seedling tree from Edible Landscaping but the fruit are tiny.

2 Likes

Wow- you’re about 25 days earlier than my first Mangos here in 7B. Great taste and in my experience grow faster and bear sooner than many other famous varieties.

3 Likes

Looks great. Hope to have my first Potomac in September. I have Mango also but no fruit yet. What’s your method for determining when they are ripe?

1 Like

I give it a little squeeze, if it gives a little then it ready to eat.

Tony

2 Likes

At least one of many pawpaws passes the squeeze test. Seems very early…I was anticipating another month to go. I will pick it tomorrow if nothing steals it tonight!

4 Likes

Well, here it is. Potomac pawpaw. This was the smallest fruit of the group of 4. Vanilla custard is definitely a good description of flavor. These things are like vanilla flavored avocados. I don’t know if I’m crazy about them or not, but I will find ways to use them. I will eat plenty of them fresh, I’m sure. I think they would be awesome in smoothies/protein shakes. I am going to let the others ripen further to see if the flavor changes any.

10 Likes

Old topic, but anyone have a ripe pawpaw yet?

Just picked my first Shenandoah. It needs another day on the counter I think.

2 Likes