Flavor Grenade Pluot

Here’s my Flavor Grenade Pluot on Citation rootstock from DWN, seemingly rejoicing after last week’s rainfall.

9 Likes

Nice tree. Doesn’t look like you dug one of those neat little pits for that tree like you did many of your others?

Actually I did. It’s somewhat hard to discern in the late afternoon light and weeds growing in the mulch.

What happened to the putting green plan?

I’ll start pouring for it in May :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a clean, not so lean pruning machine :smile:

3 Likes

Mine’s in full sun and the bud swell has barely started.

6 Likes

Finally!

4 Likes

4 Likes

This tree has well over a hundred fruit sets this year. A major thinning will ensue in a week or two!

4 Likes

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance @Richard i cant groq this stuff here. I get a plumcot is a plum/apricot what is a pluot, plum/?. I see you west/southern folks posting them alot but i havent googled it to see.

Pluot is a patented term for interspecific Plum X Apricot.

Oh ok, thanks!

First ripe fruit of the season

13 Likes

Great Fruit. For some reason the birds leave it alone. Retains a good crunch when ripe. Flesh is sweet. Hangs on the tree a long time. Sets huge crop. Steer clear if you dont want to thin.

4 Likes

Before and after pruning. I only removed tall and errant whips. Resulting height is about 6.5 feet.

11 Likes

Crazy, I have a similar sized Flavor Grenade tree and I get a maximum of like 5 fruit a year off of it.

1 Like

In my environment it bears interstem and on fruit spurs. I am following R.S. Martin’s guide for Apricot but heeding the advice for non-top bearers. See the 3 photographed pages at the end of this post:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s quite a difference. How many fruit do you typically get before and after thinning?

This tree has only been in the ground 4 years and I’ve yet to thin fruit. Last season I harvested less than 2 dozen fruits. :slight_smile: