Flavor Grenade Pluot

That seems really low. Was it higher in previous years, or was that the first year it produced? Is FG know to be a sparse bearer?

Do you have any other pluots, and if so, how have they done?

At least in my climate, flavor grenade is a heavy bearer. Needs to be heavily thinned or else it will break branches,

1 Like

For my climate it is a young tree. Also, I invest 3-4 years in training trees here because the reward is plentiful. I expect it to bear more in the coming years.

Yes, well-documented for your climate. Congratulations!

Blossoms on our Flavor Grenade Pluot :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

They’re just flowering now?I thought yours should be way ahead of mine.There are tiny fruit-lets on the tree here. Brady

3 Likes

Richard’s is late. Probably from lack of chilling. Socal didn’t have any until March.

5 Likes

Mine is just starting to flower right now as well.

That’s what I was thinking. Chilling makes sense. Just seems weird that my FG bloomed a month ago here in 6B

Agrees with @fruitnut that chilling is the likely answer. @Richard FG should be more on a timeline similar to mine (Zone 8b). I already have 1-3/4" long FG’s.

1 Like

This tree has just passed it’s 4th winter here. Each year it has bloomed after our Mid Pride peach, which just set fruit as did our Nectaplum. Our Beauty plum started flowering last week. Our Katy Apricot and Cot-N-Candy aprium have been flowering sporadically since late February. Meanwhile our Snow Queen nectarine just started bud break.

2 Likes

Mine is in full bloom now.

Flavor Grenade on the left and Geo Pride is on the right:

33 Likes

Outstanding!

That’s incredible!

All i can think about is the thinning job ahead. Anyway, a good problem to have.

1 Like

They look nice and well cared for. Great job Bob.

1 Like

I didn’t do anything special with it. I just planted them next to my driveway and have kept them mulched. This year I pruned a bit, but probably need to do more, considering they are only ~4’ apart.

They probably look extra energetic since they didn’t have a crop last year (late frost and insects took care of the few that set).

True- it will be a lot more work this year. But, given the prolific bloom on most of my trees and the lack of late frosts (knocks on wood), I feel like this is the year I should take some extra steps to get good fruit (thinning, sprays, etc). It’s like a new years resolution- let’s see if it holds when it is time to do it…

2 Likes

Wow. Awesome display of flowers, looks like snowball trees! Keep us updated with periodic pics, you ought to have a pluot bonanza this year. Are the bees hitting them good?

How old are these trees? I remember you telling me in another thread but forgot. I can’t believe those are just 4’ apart, I just planted 3 pluots last month and gave them an 18’ berth. The Geo Pride I planted is just now starting to sprout. I know these are low chill trees, but they’re probably just now getting used to their new home.

Here’s how the 137 chill hours for my winter stacked up:

winter 2017 chill hours

1 Like

That’s basically none. The Febr and March chilling is too late to be very effective. But maybe it did coax a few blooms on FG.

Both were purchased from Bay Laurel and planted in March 2015. They arrived with 9-10 sixteenths of an inch caliper on Citation rootstock.

Depends on the weather. The last couple days it has been 50-55 degrees for a high and not too many are about. But, there was a veritable swarm 4-5 days ago when it was warmer. I think a lot were focused on the nearby Nadia tree, as it was slightly quicker to open up in full bloom. The next 3 days are in the 70’s and 80’s, so I expect that they will get well pollinated.

I think my Satsuma may be flowering even more profusely. I’m not sure which I’m happier about- the nice flowers, or my daughter finally being old enough to do the lawn…

11 Likes