Flowers in the Greenhouse

My greenhouse is primarily for starting veggie seedings in the spring and growing greens all winter but I usually have a few easy flowers thrown in for perkiness, sticking some daffodil bulbs in the bed in the fall, transplanting a few marigold or calendula ‘suckers’ in before freeze up. It’s nice to have a bit of color. This year for the first time I transplanted a small nasturtium side-shoot from the garden patch and stuck some seed in the bed. They not only grew they have really taken off and apparently love the conditions. They’re trying their best to make it to the ceiling and are really blooming now. I’ve never had such enthusiastic flowers! My GH is rather cool as it’s not heated, though it’s attached to the house and has a small vent between so usually doesn’t get below freezing. I’ll definitely be doing nasties again next winter. Sue

GH-Nastur-april-gf

What flowers do you grow in your winter/spring greenhouse?

12 Likes

I have volunteer lilies. I threw some used potting soil on the beds in my greenhouse last fall. It is unheated in the winter so I assumed that with no snow cover the lily bulbs would perish, but they didn’t and now I have them popping up everywhere. I just leave them, they seem to be doing great and are not hindering any of my other plants.

Your nasturtiums look wonderful, maybe I’ll get some seed and let them ramble up with my grapes.

1 Like

Wow!! Looks beautiful, Sue!

1 Like

I grow them every year. They are not only like pretty, but also the leaf,flower are edible

3 Likes

I was about to say the same thing… They have quite the peppery bite, though.

I use the leaves in sandwiches and the flowers in salads…

Scott

2 Likes

Agreed! Right before first frost last fall I brought my geranium-filled window boxes into my greenhouse. They bloomed like crazy all winter, and gave a nice splash of color. They are back on my windows now, and look amazing (though I had to cover them with towels last night).

5 Likes

How inspiring everyone! :blush:
I’m trying to mix things up too a bit this year and add some flowering plants here and there. I have some bush-type nasturtiums germinating now. The plan was to use them as folks have described above plus try canning the seeds as capers.
I have pink hyssop (agastache) that’s ready to go into the garden if it ever warms up.
The Canterbury bells - 5 out of 6 of the 2-year old plants (that were going to bloom this year) have been eaten down from underneath by voles. They were not bothered by our colder than normal weather at all. I seeded some more this winter and put them out about a month ago. Just today I dug them all up and put wire baskets under them.
Then African Blue Basil which I’m growing for the flower, but will try the leaves as well.
My favorite by far are the Rieger begonias, but I haven’t had good luck with them at all - either keeping them alive til next year or propagating them, but I keep trying. I think they need protection from all the rain.
IMG_1664

3 Likes