Forum images are migrating to Amazon S3

Ditto what he said.

1 Like

Yep.

Yup, I’d be happy to auction off some of my rare figs if needed.

2 Likes

FYI I am migrating the old images over starting now. During the transition some images may be broken but all should be OK when its all over in a few hours. Assuming nothing goes wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

First of all, thanks Scott for setting up this website.

Where is the fundraiser thread/info located or, how may donations be made?

Dax

We still have a few years of money left from the last fund raiser, something like 2019 or 2020 we will need more $$.

2 Likes

Just say the word!

1 Like

Sounds good. Thanks to everyone contributing & I’ll be of help the next time.

Dax

1 Like

I ran into a glitch, it looks like I will need to reboot the computer to reconfigure something. We will be down for 5 or so minutes soon.

OK I think they all got migrated… it will take several more hours for the site to rebuild all the optimized images (the smaller ones you see before you click on the image), and hopefully all will be good with the images for a loooong time!

Let me know if on Monday you notice any missing images or other glitches with images.

1 Like

Hmm, it looks like a bunch of pictures didn’t make it over yet so I am re-running it. The site seems to be suffering performance-wise during this. I am going to try to get it all done and over with tonight so we can have this issue behind us finally. Just re-load if something is not showing up.

The site is having trouble on my tablet. I have to refresh the page several times to get it to come up. It sometimes will load, sometimes will give an error message, especially after hitting the home icon.

It’s actually gave me an “error 429” message when I tried to submit this post!

Yes, it is getting very sluggish. The proxy I have is also causing additional problems. try connecting to

http://growingfruit.org:8000

and you may have better luck, that is the direct connection. Hopefully by tomorrow when all the images are fixed up it will be OK again.

1 Like

Thanks, the alternate addy works fine now.

Does the new image location have smaller file size limits? Perhaps its not related, but tonight for the first time ever, each time I try to upload a photo from my phone I get an error message from the GF web site saying “file size too large, limit is 2040kb”. Was the size limit larger before or am I somehow just accidentally trying to upload larger (file size) photos? Thanks.

The limit has been the same but they keep changing around the code to resize images. At some point it was my code, I got tired of them not fixing the problem so I wrote some code for it. It has been changed several times since then.

Anyway we have tons of space now on Amazon so I upped the size to 4 megs which will hopefully allow most photos to get resized OK. If anyone is having problems after now with photos too large follow up here and I will look into it.

2 Likes

Thanks scott. I’ve always resized my photos to “large” on my phone before sending them in and they always were accepted until recently, so I didn’t know if it was a code thing or a change in size limit. Thanks for the response.

As per this thread

it looks like it was my fault this time … I made a big change on the site configuration this weekend and it looks like I may have introduced a bug. Which should be all fixed now. Let me know if any big images are not working.

… OK just made one last change, now it will take original images up to 20MB in size. That limit was 10MB before. Note that png and gif still need to be below 4MB, but any jpg will be resized and even really big ones should load OK now.

Hi @scottfsmith, I ran in to a post where the images weren’t loading properly and just wanted you to know: Pics high density greenhouse stone fruit

The link seems ok because clicking on it brings the photo up.

Thanks for pointing that out. That was an old image which I migrated to S3 last weekend. Unfortunately the migration script seems to have many bugs in it; in that case the smaller versions did not get migrated. That is why it is not appearing. There is currently no easy solution to this so unless we uncover many such old threads I am going to have to leave them as-is. I am hoping one day that there are some reliable scripts to get the S3 migration done properly and once those exist I will be able to run them to fix these issues.

Note that any such error can always be fixed by hand if its your post – download all the big images, edit the post, and re-add them where they were.

If we end up finding a lot more of these I will look into it more, it may be the script can be fixed without much work. If anyone else has found broken pictures recently please tack them on here for reference.