Fox or coon tracks?

I’ve been thinking a fox but the amount of damage is now making me think coons. In the past I’ve been able to trap the coons but my trap has come up empty. Looks like I’m losing all the early nectarines at this point.

What does this look like to you, fox or coon?

I’m not so sure…coons fingers are usually more narrow. but it definitely doesn’t look like a fox…

1 Like

Coon

4 Likes

The top picture look like fox to me. The bottom picture closer to coons.

Raccoon. I kind of do it for a living and that’s coon damage.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. It’s that sinking feeling when you know you’ve dropped the ball. I should have tried harder trapping sooner. Too late now.

2 Likes

God I hate Racoons…

1 Like

Set two traps out last night… Woke up with a cat… open the door and the cat flew out of there!

Ya me also. It was the neighbors cat that I’ve caught several times. I tried salmon in the trap last night since marshmallows weren’t working. Meat always seems to catch a cat.

Maybe I need fresh marshmallows…seriously

I’m betting on coon too.

1 Like

Try that fruit he took off the tree.

1 Like

My coon encounters all end with 40 grains of lead…!!

I’m afraid there’s a whole family by now. Usually I can catch the parents in late winter.

4 Likes

They’re also a rabies vector species and many/most states likely prohibit the live trapping and release of them (they must be humanely euthanized and I’m fine with 40 grains of lead).

2 Likes

I don’t like it either but the damage will make it easier this summer. And I think it may take all summer to clean out the current residents. Next yr others will move back in. I should know the routine by now.

Gasp! Man I hate to see that. One thing for certain - he knew where the best stuff in town is found. :blush:
I had a family of coons decimate my blackberries. They reached right through the bird netting. They have a MUCH bigger appetite than a bird. Really need to dispense with them.

1 Like

Sweet corn will draw in a coon

1 Like

Not around here. Almost no one grows it beside me. They hit what they’ve learned to hit. My fruit always gets it but not the sweetcorn. In the Midwest any coon that doesn’t know corn is a moron.

2 Likes

Don’t hunting rules allow for dispatching vermin that are damaging crops? I know in KY it’s legal to stop a dog that’s killing livestock.

1 Like

Don’t Tell that to the coon in my backyard. I keep threatening it if it causes any trouble!

1 Like

So do you trap for a living, ? Just curious, I used to hunt raccoons , but more as a hobby that paid cash.

1 Like