Fox or coon tracks?

Not snaggy?

I have one 16x16 small mesh net, but it’s too small to fit over my cherry tree and fasten at the bottom

I also have a supposedly 6x33 net that was supposed to go over my strawberries, but it’s damnwell NOT 6 feet wide

2 Likes

They probably are a bit snaggy, unlike American Nettings, my personal favorite, but those are very expensive and I recycle the seven I already own. My trees have just gotten so large, with larger crops that It is better to just bag the entire tree then one apple at a time. I would be cutting bags for weeks! Removing the netting will not be that bad, as it will be the end of the season, getting cooler with no bug problems waiting to be pruned by the new owners in Feb, or taken down and a pool installed!

1 Like

I think that’s the brand that I tried on my strawberries

1 Like

Instant replay. Adult raccoon #7 in the semi seafood restaurant this AM. The anchovies/salt-derived “fish sauce” continues to bring 'em in. In the meantime, squirrels and wasps are still getting their share as figs ripen.

2 Likes

Why not use some squirrel traps? Wasp traps?
You are definitely on a roll. :blush:

1 Like

Three of the squirrels here in Squirrelsville fell victim to an air device in the last few days. Raccoons likely haul them away over night for food to go, but I also spotted an owl in early morning light finishing up one of the squirrels that died the previous evening. Some eaters become the eaten. The wasps do take time from fig eating to eat fuzzy caterpillars, etc., so they are welcome to stay.

3 Likes

Again. Number 8 has just been laying down calmly, hopelessly after spending much of the previous night reaching through the wire holes and grabbing/pushing/pulling/bending everything within reach while trying to find the exit door. They really are strong. Pound for pound.

2 Likes

That’s for sure. They’d mess a guy up pretty badly in a steel cage death match.

1 Like

That’s amazing you got hand-print evidence. Reminds me of the snow monkeys around here. They can be pretty funny.

1 Like

Yeah. Number 9 is laying down calmly. It is a bit smaller than the previous 8. A nearby veggie grower with no fencing for “protection” has lots to harvest and no critter problems, so just maybe the idea that raccoons have a fondness for sweet eats is thus exemplified.

1 Like

You need more traps!

1 Like

You mean you have never climbed a tree in the dark to grab a coon by the tail so he will jump out of the tree , lol

3 Likes

My hatred of coons started about 25 years ago. My buddy and I were drinking beer and catfishing along the river bank at 2:00am in the morning. I was sitting on a tree trunk that had fallen down near the water. I was packing a pretty good buzz and was not being particularly observant. I felt something brush against my legs and looked down to see a coon. Needless to say I jumped up about 3 feet in the air screaming like a little girl. The coon ran to a nearby tree and climbed up about 20 feet. My buddy and I made it a mission to pay that coon back. We lobbed cantelope sized river stone at that thing for 10 minutes trying to destroy it. After straining our shoulders we gave up and called it a night. The coon won and I’ve never forgotten…

1 Like

Nine nights with the trap set yielded nine raccoons. Last night was the tenth time that the trap was set, but this time there was a half grown opossum inside. Finally reached the end. Hopefully.

2 Likes

Coon

1 Like

After 9 raccoons and 1 opossum got trapped in a matter of days, there were 2 nights back-to-back with no new customers. Last night another raccoon showed up, so 10 is the new coon count. Just when I was about ready to give the trap time off for good behavior.

2 Likes

You’ve got enough for a coat!

2 Likes

Interesting, in more wild areas the opposite is said to be true by trappers. Here they say you have to trap out all the opossums to get to the raccoons.

1 Like

Scoreboard update: 11 + 1

2 Likes

I have both and am out in the woods. I shoot Possums and Raccoons all year round and they just keep coming. I hope these electric nets work. I do believe that’s what i am going to go with. I need to protect from Bear and Deer anyway hopefully it will take care of all of them…

1 Like