Free Seeds / Growing Naranjilla

Thank you so much for the seeds! Here is mine!

1 Like

I know I should separate them but the thorns were killing me!:joy:

but you must.

1 Like

Tessie5
It’s about 3’ tall
And about that wide…
And growing !

1 Like

I didn’t know they had edible fruit or what is their name. I’ve been pulling them out of my garden for several years and finally got them eradicated. Now I find out they are edible.

Graftman
If you are in zone 7, I believe you are talking about
Horse nettle, (solanum carolinensse )
It looks very similar "in pictures " to the plant being discussed here.
Horse nettle has a green – yellow berry , that is poisonous!
These are different plants.!

1 Like

I still have Naranjilla seeds (Solanum quitoense) to share if you want to grow the more useful cousin.

Hillbilly,
That makes sense, I wouldn’t have thought that plant would have made it here by natural means.

Lordkiwi, will the seeds keep until next spring? I think it is too late to plant them now. I could start them in Feb with my peppers and tomatoes.

The seeds keep quite well, the ones I sent out where 1 and 3 years old. I am also saving seeds from the fruits I got from the grocery. They are slow to germinate so I suggest starting them in January well before your tomatoes and peppers. Just PM your address.

Have you had any fruit set? I transplanted mine to a less shady location and they decided to put on some more volume.

No fruit set yet.
Several clusters of flowers.
Soon I hope

I have several flower clusters forming.

2 Likes

fruit set

1 Like

Mark my words coming soon to a Wholefoods near you. Lulo are great. You can’t eat them out of hand but that juice is so delicious.

I got some ripe Lulo from a diffrent neigh hood grocery earlier this year. Sadly I did not take a picture of the fruit split open. Those where more ripe and 90% juice. These Lulo are less then fully ripe and maybe 30% juice.

makes a great addition to home made yogurt

1 Like

These guys dont seem to spoil all that quick. Anyone want a Lulo care package? I can stick as many as will fit in a small flat USPS box and send them out. Just reimburse my costs.

I did not achieve ripe fruit this year. But I transplanted the freeze survivors to my sun room.

2 Likes

Mine did not set fruit.
Many flowers , none set.
Will try to keep it going inside this winter

Mine did not grow much this summer. I left it out to freeze, it had spider mites and I was not willing to bring them inside. Maybe I will try planting another seed soon so it will have a longer growing time.

7 Likes