Fresh Lychee

SMC, Jujus,

Just ate about 1/2 lb of it. The rest will go into the fridge.

Tony

4 Likes

coud eat that in one sitting!

1 Like

You wouldn’t feel that way about astringent persimmons if you could taste the one’s i have eaten last year.

Fully ripe they are a treat. Simply delicious!
And to those who don’t like the soft consistency there is always the alternative of combining them with other foods, like greek yogurt - Yuumm!!

Here is the variety i am talking about - Coroa de Rei - the best we have:

3 Likes

@Jsacadura - that looks awesome. I have had properly ripened astringent persimmon once in my life, and they are very good. I’m hoping sometime to be able to taste the North Central US cold hardy ones.

Had my first canned lychees this week and they were good. Never saw those around here before now. Bet they are amazing fresh.

That looks fabulous. I can taste it through the screen! Soooo good!

Yikes! Be careful out there. Worth a read:

That won’t be good on those survival TV programs where people are out starving in some wild place.

1 Like

From the article:

…which contained hypoglycin, a toxin that prevents the body from making glucose. Tests then showed that lychees also contained hypoglycin.

Does this mean that Lychee is a high brix fruit which is good for diabetics, in that it keeps glucose levels down (preferably not fatally)?

Can’t say I’m happy to hear that a fruit I like contains a potentially fatal toxin. Especially since I can put away a lot of them in one sitting.

I have been eating lychees by the pound like Bob for the last 50 years but no issues. I hate to give up this delicious fruit.

Tony

3 Likes

Thanks, Matt. Very interesting article.

Can’t recall if I have ever eaten lychees on an empty stomach. Also, I might have swallowed seeds/stones a time or two, too. Yikes!!

I don’t need any other reasons to pass on leechees

1 Like

evidently the botulinum toxin and hypoglycin are a lethal scourge in developing countries, but seem to have medicinal value in nations where people are more than well-fed.

Matt the article mentioned a similar outbreak in the Caribbean, from Ackee fruit, which is poisonous unless cooked; it is sold in our supermarkets here, (in cans!). It is grown and served all of the time in Jamica. As for lychees I love lychees and was hoping to grow them in France. I will do more research.

I think you should give lychee a second chance. I remember you saying the texture was like squid, and I guess I’d have to agree with that. But the flavor! Like delicious fruit squid.

2 Likes

I love canned lychee and eat them frequently on an empty stomach. The texture and appearance certainly made me understand why they call them dragon eye. The texture is different but ive got accustomed to it. Would love to try fresh lychee. Strange to see an article advising they could be dangerous.

That one right there is among my favorites… it might even be my absolute favorite if I’m forced to choose. I know this is a 2 year old topic, but that is what to look for in passion fruit. Not those tiny sour purple things, but what you found there in Toronto is what to get. It’s very cheap and abundant (at the right time of the year) in Bagiuo, Philippines. The only place I’ve seen it in this hemisphere was at a Hyatt resort in Cancun. The Cancun fruits were hit or miss, maybe old? The fruits in the Philippines have never disappointed me.

3 Likes

Lychee season. I got 3 lbs . So sweet, juicy, and delicious. Also harvest a few Shinseiki Asian pears but my wife ate two right away.

4 Likes

I have 3 lychee trees out there for a few years, no fruit so far. I prefer Long An to be honest. Much easier to grow here and I like to eat them better than lychee.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

Checked around and believe i located some lychee after reading your post.

1 Like