Fresh Lychee

Tony,

I could get all the fruit above but mangosteen, my favorite, at Asian markets near me.

I remembered cutting up jackfruit at home was a pain because of the white sticky stuff under its skin (don’t know what it’s called - tanglefoot in white :smile:). I remembered when my brother cut it up, my sister had to help clean the white sticky stuff off. It’s a two-person job cutting jackfruit.

That’s why I like to buy packaged jackfruit-only or cut-up in pieces instead of a whole fruit. Yes, more expensive.

Thank you for the invite, Tony. Let me one up you. I’m leaving for Thailand for a month in a few weeks:grin:

Yeah! The white sap like tangle foot. I applied some olive oil on the knife so the white sap won’t stick. I have to use 3 pairs of medical gloves so it won’t get on my hands. My kids like to eat the boiled seeds. Very starchy. Well, have fun in Thailand.

Tony

Yes, we boil the seeds, too. Add salt to the water, it’ll make those seeds taste better.

wow!
self-servingly, how i wish tonyOmaha was my neighbor!

incidentally, apart from mangos and the usual cavendish banana, most tropical fruits are weird-looking or just plain ugly.
jackfruit and durian aren’t just spiny and intimidating, but the former also has wicked white sap, while the latter reeks of onions. But the flavor and taste are just incomparable!
lychees look dry and coarse on the outside, but that look belies the very juicy and fragrant and sweet aril inside.
rambutan, mangosteen, sapodilla, sugar apple, atemoya, and lanzones all look unappealing, but each and every flavor is simply one-of-a-kind.
if anyone here has seen lacatan bananas, one could easily be turned off by the spots and sometimes rough peel, but if one should be brave enough to even touch and peel it, the extremely fragrant, sweet and flavorful pulp will make you wonder why people would rather have their bananas plain…

if you’re judging a tropical fruit by its cover, you’re missing out quite badly.

@fruitnut, I grew up in a tropical country where tropical fruits are plentiful in one’s garden and readily available in the markets, like lychees, longan, jackfruit, durian, mangosteen, rambutans, wax jambus, langsat, chickus (sapote) mangoes, guavas. Almost all of these are huge trees :frowning: but there is nothing not to like about them. I promise you, they taste divine. The only fruit you may not like is probably the durian (King of fruit in the eyes and palates of Asians) To many Westerners, the smell of durian resembles the smells oozing from landfills :frowning:

That may well be true. However I can’t grow them to high quality and can’t buy them locally. It’s extremely difficult to compare fruits across long distances. Maybe tropicals grow naturally to extremely high quality. I doubt they’re better than what I grow. However much about food is an acquired taste. So someone from the tropics might well think my stuff tastes like crap.

That reminds of my childhood. I loved the salted boiled seeds too. And the gassy effect in a few hours! :innocent:

My kids does not like boiled seeds though!

Tom

where RU you @tonyOmahaz5. U R making very jealous! These are the fruits I grew up eating!!! If you ever get another fruit called the Chempedak, don’t throw away the seeds, they can be boiled and eaten. Very tasty, too… Chempedak is sort of similar but fruit is softer and very pulpy and the whole fruit is more slender.

Well this person who grew up in the tropics will not :slight_smile: what do you grow?

@fruitnut you can grow them and when they fruit, you ship them to me :slight_smile: I will eat them for you :slight_smile: hahah

For those of you growing paw paw… I don’t have room to grow , though I would love to grow them, wonder if I can grow them in pots, not that I am having great success with containerise fruit trees! If anyone of you have an over abundant of fruits this season, PM me, I would like to purchase some to try. I will pay for shipping too. Thanks in advance.

Roundface,
If you do not mind my asking, what country did you grow up in since you said you grew up with tropical fruit.

Malaysian :slight_smile:

We are neighbors. So far, we have a few friends here from Southeast Asia. That’s cool.

1 Like

RU from ThaiIand? Durian stick :wink: yumm

Yes, born and bred there. Migrated here for a degree and settled here many moons ago. We go back to Thailand often.

Glad you talked about durian sticks. It is good. Love it.

Have you tried Chinese pastry with durian paste stuffing. I cannot get my hubby to try.

Mamuang, Tom, Jujus, Roundface, IL.

Just got me some fresh Lychee and Rambutan. They are so good. I think my wife spent a hundred of dollars on tropical fruits every time she went to the Asian Market.

Tony

1 Like

I like your wife already :grin:

Now I know why you built those nice raised herb gardens for her. You married well :smile:

This morning I stopped at one of the local markets and noticed they had a few new fruits I’m not used to seeing. One was rambutan and the other was Kiwano Melon. I bought a half dozen rambutans and one melon to try out. I just finished a rambutan and as neat as it looked I can’t say they blew me away. I didn’t detect any new interesting flavors and it was quite mild. Not to mention is was clingstone and ended up providing very little edible pulp. To me the flavor reminded me of an uninteresting thompson grape. Granted, I’m positive that fresh rambutan picked daily in Malaysia is probably 100 times better.

As for the melon, I’ll take it home tonight and try it with my daughter. After googling it and seeing the green inside thats supposed to taste like cucumber it doesn’t sound that interesting to me. Not that I dislike cucumbers but when I’m expecting a sweet tropical fruit the sound of cucumber flavor is kind of a let down. But hey anything new is worth trying.